One Week

Well, we survived the first week and I didn't even have a crying breakdown until last night. I'm not even sure what the specific cause was--just accumulated stress and post-partum hormone issues. Little Dude (that's become his blog name, so I think I'll use it) has decided to actually sleep for the last two nights. Well, he does three hours at a time, gets up and eats, and goes back to sleep. I can handle that--it's better than the first few nights when he'd just fuss for hours. We've also discovered that he likes having his mattress propped up at an angle and he likes being wrapped up tightly. Also, if you hold him for a little while until he's deeply asleep, he won't notice that you're putting him down in his bed. I'm probably teaching him bad sleep habits, but we'll fix that in a few months. I just want to sleep right now.

The feeding thing is working itself out too. My body is adjusting so the engorgement issue isn't so much of a problem, but I'm still kind of sore when he eats. I've been debating going in to the lactation clinic, but I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. His mouth is just tiny, and his chin kind of recedes, so it's hard to get a nice open mouth when he starts eating. It tends to pinch (ouch!), so I have to really force his mouth open and hold things in place. It gets a little tiring, but it should get better in a few weeks and hopefully I won't need to use both hands to feed him every single time. And I keep reminding myself that he won't need to eat every 2 hours for the rest of his life.

Anyways, we're still surviving. The ward has had people bring us food for the last few nights, which has been a nice little bonus. I'm getting nervous because Master Fob is jumping right into his new job this week and will suddenly be working 40 hours a week, including almost every evening until 9 as well as Saturdays. But I've got my freezer full of food and I'm prepared to keep neglecting housework for the next few weeks, so we'll be OK. Unlike last night, I can now recognize that there will be good and bad days, but not every day is a bad day.

Comments

Jenny said…
Good luck with everything! I can relate to the baby wanting to sleep being held. I ended up holding my son constantly for like the first 3 months of his life and I was really paranoid that I would be doing it for the next 10 years to get him to go to sleep. Once he was like 12 weeks old he decided he didn't care if I held him anymore. Maybe your son will grow out of it also.

But after the second baby I turned into a major wuss and now will do almost anything to make the pathetic noise that is 'the newborn cry' stop.
Cricket said…
now will do almost anything to make the pathetic noise that is 'the newborn cry' stop

LOL, I second That!!
Earth Sign Mama said…
Hey, you cannot "spoil" a new baby. They will recover from almost any "bad habit" that you resort to in the first couple of months to get a little sleep (for you and him). And there isn't any "housework" that is on the list higher than a)feed baby
b)feed toddler c)feed mom and dad (and dad can feed himself ya know)and finally: d)sleep, sleep, sleep.
AmyJane said…
Amen to all of that! I had to chuckle at the "two handed" feeding. Being as Patrick was only six weeks old when we had to drop out of nursing, I was still in that phase and still have no idea how others seem to read, do dishes and make beds all whilst nursing a babe. It's a mystery!
Also, my baby sleep guru, even Dr. Marc Weissbluth, says that all bets are off for at least the first two months, and maybe longer depending on the baby. It sounds like he's already getting into a pretty decent pattern though, and sounds like you are doing a terrific job!
Desmama said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Desmama said…
Hang in there--I agree, it seems like you're doing a great job. And if you don't take care of yourself, it's tough to get into any habit, healthy or not, so I second the motion to sleep, sleep, sleep until you feel on top of the game again. We'll see how well I take my own advice in the next few weeks . . .

*Shakes her head, unable to believe she's voluntarily doing this again.*
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
I'm glad to hear that you made it. I wish I could offer some advice and/or assistance. Just warm fuzzy thoughts, I suppose...
skyeJ said…
Imik simik, is Arabic/Tashelheit for "little by little". I hear it from everyone, everyday, all day long as I tell them I'm trying to learn Tash. One day at a time. Imik simik iksham aran tagdurt. Little by little the camel enters the couscous pot. (WE DON'T ACTUALLY EAT CAMEL. It's a proverb.) I'm glad you're home and well. Everyone was THRILLED to be helping you out at the hospital, it's our way of giving back a little to someone somewhere for all the blessings WE'VE received in life. I think that's the best way to explain why nurses are nurses. (or at least the ladies I worked with at UVRMC)

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals