The Seven Year Itch

When Mr. Fob and I were dating seven years ago, he got a new car. I went with him to the dealership to look at it and pick it out; I remember feeling funny because at the time we were just dating, but starting to get serious, so I was thinking that at some point the car would be "ours" and not just "his". I'd never owned a car before, and for several years the car was fabulous. It has air conditioning and a CD player, both features I had never been blessed to have in a vehicle before. It's been a good little car and we've appreciated having it. Unfortunately, like many relationships, ours is getting a little stale. I've grown tired of our car's flaws, like no remote entry and a not-so-powerful engine. The cramped backseat and tiny trunk are also getting on my nerves. Many of my friends have recently acquired new cars or vans and I'm beginning to feel some serious envy of their new vehicles.

Today we had a one-day fling with a Toyota Sienna, and I think it's going to take me a while to recover. I didn't actually drive it and I sat in the back, but I still fell in love with all of its features. The little mirror that flips down and lets you see the back seats. The remote entry and the double sliding doors. Plenty of room for the kids' car seats, plus cup holders for their water bottles. Room for me to sit in the back with them without getting kicked or poked. Controls for the air conditioning in the back. I could go on and on. I'm afraid that now that I've seen the good side of life my car lust is only going to get worse. I think I should go do some price checking and bring myself back down to reality.

Comments

Mindy said…
We rented a Toyota Sienna for a family vacation. We fit 4 adults and 2 kids, 5 suitcases and a stroller very easily. It got incredible gas mileage. I am also in love with that car.
Emma said…
My Dad always got the 7 year itch too (he even called it that). That's about how often he bought a new car. We've had our little Saturn for 8 years now, and with #3 coming along, it was definitely time for a bigger vehicle. Some cars can fit 3 car seats in the back, but we've tried with our, and it is impossible. I would have loved to get a Sienna, but it just wasn't in our budget.
M said…
My aunt has one. She's fairly environmentally conscious, and extremely safety and kid conconscious (she has three kids who attend private school that she has to take them to, and are all involved in sports) and she loves her car. I've driven it, and despite my hatred of bigger cars (I'm not the world's most confident driver), I really like it too. For what that's worth.
Cricket said…
Oh how I loved my Sienna! I just had to turn it back in- end of lease- last month :( You won't be sorry if you go for it...
Desmama said…
Every time my dad gets the itch for a new car, he goes and gets his own detailed. It may be expensive (around $100) but it takes care of the itch and makes your own car feel new again.
jules said…
We LOVE our Kia Sedona we just bought. It is rated as well as the Sienna and Odyssey, but is at least $5,000 cheaper. In case your itch doesn't go away... ;)
Recession Cone said…
I'm currently dreaming about a Mazda5. It's large enough to fit my family, yet small enough to get great gas mileage (20% better than the Sienna according to the EPA). I really want a car with sliding doors - despite the stigma often associated with a minivan, the sliding doors are so much easier to open when holding kids & junk, and they keep exuberant 4 year olds from bashing other cars in the parking lot.
We're currently cramming 2 kids into a 2001 Saturn, which does not have space for a 3rd car seat, so we'll definitely have to buy a new car whenever our next child comes along... Hopefully it'll be a Mazda5.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear