The Right Place

Last week we finally closed on the house; yes, we've been living here for three weeks now and thought we were going to close much more quickly. It has been a long and weird saga and none of us understand why the seller's bank felt such a need to make things difficult. But now Mr. Fob and I are the proud owners of our very own home and a mortgage that looks pretty daunting from this point of view (seeing 2040 on several papers kind of freaked me out a bit--hopefully we'll pay it off sooner than that).

The only thing that has kept me going has been the assurance that this is the right place for us. I really don't know how to explain it any more than that; this whole time I've had a feeling that we are supposed to live here for some reason, and that somehow things would work out. It wasn't just the house itself, though it is perfect for us. I've had some doubts because it is pretty big. The family that owned it for a long time had 10 children; we only have three. It's not extravagant by any means but it really is roomy and for right now we even have a guest bedroom (perfect because we often have guests--come visit us some time).

During the first few years of marriage we spent a lot of time plotting how we could get out of Utah. We have a lot of family and friends here, and yet it never felt like the right place. Then we spent a few years living in other states, and though we loved them they never felt 'right' either. I wanted them to be right; last year Mr. Fob applied for a few jobs in very nice parts of California and I'm still sometimes a little sad that we aren't living a few miles from the beach. As with many decisions it can be hard to talk about what is right for you because too many people assume that it makes their choices 'wrong'. I loved all the places and wards we've been in for the last few years and made many good friends. At the same time, it is amazing to feel so strongly that we are truly home at last. I didn't think it would be Orem but now we just need to start putting down roots.

Comments

Julie said…
I wish we could feel like that...
Emma said…
Congratulations!
Tina said…
Yea, for you guys! Congratulations. I'm still waiting to see pictures of the new home.
rantipoler said…
I'm so glad you found the right place for you, and congrats on the new home! That's very exciting. :)
Desmama said…
I really didn't think we'd end up where we are, but it is nice to feel like we're here to put down roots. Glad you guys are getting settled in time for Baby.
brozy said…
Congratulations!
skyeJ said…
now bring on the poop machine!!! (er, I mean, Little Miracle Blessing of Little Baby Jesus's Love in a Basket of Roses and Jellybeans and Unicorn Farts)
When it just feels right, you just go with it and trust that the rest will work out. Even if its Utah. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals