Reading Roundup: 2011

This year I read 95 books, which is just a few more than last year. You would think that with having three kids and working two jobs I wouldn't have time to read, but as I talked about in this post, it's a bit of a compulsion. Plus I'm in a book club, I work in a library, and I have other things that need to read books for. We'll see if I really do read fewer books in 2012.

60 were fiction and 35 were nonfiction; that seems to be pretty similar to the ratio I've had every year since I started keeping track of things. I like nonfiction a lot, but fiction books are often faster and easier to read. This year 62 books were by women and only 33 were by men. I don't know if that means anything at all; there were a few authors that I read more than once this year and most of them were women. I also read a lot more books by LDS authors this year, but among those there didn't seem to be more women than men.

Once again, here are my favorites for the year (in no particular order):

Fiction
A Sense of Order (and other stories) by Jack Harrell
Rift by Todd Robert Petersen
The Lost Books of the Odyssey by Zachary Mason
Alma the Younger by H.B. Moore
The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt
State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
The Call by Yannick Murphy
After by Amy Efaw
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka

Nonfiction
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick
The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabelle Wilkerson
Home Waters by George Handley
The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean
Bossypants by Tina Fey
Maphead by Ken Jennings
The Panic Virus by Seth Mnookin

I only watched 30 movies this year; it actually sounds like a lot when I add it up, but there were some months when I watched 5 or 6 movies and other months when I didn't watch any. I haven't had time to watch many during the last few months because of my work schedule and need to get stuff ready for teaching. I hope to watch more movies next year because I love them. Some of this year's favorites:

Taking Chance
Undertow
Inside Job
The King's Speech
The Fighter
Reel Injun
Temple Grandin

Comments

Katya said…
Thanks for reminding me that I need to ILL A Sense of Order.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear