Stuff

Yesterday was Little Dude's birthday and I think he had a great time. As usual, I spent several days preparing for the party. And, as usual, I think it was worth it. It is a lot of work to make food, clean things, and decorate a cake. But, it's the kind of work I like spending my time on because I cherish being able to spend time with people I love, and the way I show them I care about them is by doing things for them.

I also spent a lot of time trying to convince Little Dude that he didn't need an Angry Birds cake. Then I got over myself and made him a round cake that looked like a red Angry Bird. For his birthday he got a lot of presents that had either Batman or Angry Birds on them. He was so happy that I realized that it really doesn't matter that much in the end that he likes so many commercial products. We still don't watch a lot of TV and he's not obsessed with any one thing over others. I think I'm just a bit of a snob.

This weekend my parents came to town. On Saturday we went to Ikea because I've been wanting to buy a new bed for a while. I had bought some matching furniture for my bedroom previously but I didn't have the bed that went with it. I bought myself a bed and then moved my old one downstairs so I now have a guest room. I'm really excited to have a place where people can come and stay. In the past I've never been very excited about decorating my home, but I've been slightly envious of people who can do it well. Now that I have a place that I know I'm going to be in for a long time I feel much more enthusiastic about decorating it and making it feel like it's really my own. I don't even care if it happens slowly and takes a while for everything to come together.

I've been reading a lot of trashy books lately. Not anything 'dirty', just stuff with overly soap opera-ish plots and easy to read language. I think my brain is lazy and I just want to chill out when I'm at home. Last weekend I also spent a few hours debating internally about whether I should check some mindless TV-on-DVD out from the library. There are a lot of things I could do with my time: yard work, sewing projects, organizing, reading better books, going to bed on time, etc. But this week I decided to watch TV instead. I still feel a little guilty about it. I guess as long as I don't do this every week of the year, I'll be OK. Right? Now that I've updated the blog (yay!) I'm going to go eat some homemade ice cream and rot my brain. Remind of this moment when I complain about being fat in the future.

Comments

M said…
Honestly, if it weren't for NCIS and Downton Abbey on DVD, I think that summer teaching along with painfully slow (trying to make) progress on the dissertation would kill me.

There's something to be said for the occasional brain rot. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear