Conference Weekend (and More)

Last weekend we went down to Vegas to visit my parents for a few days. The kids had Spring Break, and since I had to take time off work to be with them anyway I thought a trip would be fun. It mostly went well; we listened to a Harry Potter audiobook during the drive that kept everyone entertained. The weather was warm and sunny, but not horribly hot yet. Spending a few days in the warm sunshine was great for everyone, though it made the cold and snow here in Utah a bit more unbearable after we got back. Since this is a good time of year for being outside there, we took advantage and spent a lot of time doing nature-related activities.

One day we went to Springs Preserve and spent hours in the museum there learning all about the history and ecology of the desert. It was a lot of fun; the kids could have spent all day in the museum I'm sure. The next day we drove out to Red Rocks and spent time at the visitor center learning even more about the desert, then did some hiking and found different types of rocks and discussed their properties (igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary). So if you're going to Vegas in the spring or fall, I'd recommend either of these places for curious kids. Springs Preserve has enough indoor things that you'd probably be OK there in the summer too. We also spent some time in the pool and hot tub (the pool was still pretty cold but the kids were mostly unfazed by that) and one night my parents took me out to eat at a super tasty, super pricey Spanish restaurant. It was a good trip. Every time we go on a little trip like this I remember why I like travelling so much. I hope my kids grow up with good memories of going places and learning new things.

We watched Conference for most of the sessions, except the Sunday afternoon one because we were driving home. I need to go back and re-read or watch the talks again; I feel like that's the best way for me to really understand them and take them in. But, I did come away feeling re-energized and more committed to greater spirituality in my life. I've been coasting for a while and I need to do better. This weekend I decided to try fasting again--I honestly haven't fasted for a long time. Years, probably (I know!). I have afternoon church and often spend Sunday mornings preparing food. I don't feel bad about this--cooking relaxes me and I like to listen to nice music while I do that. This weekend instead I put together some enchiladas last night and stuck them in the fridge and made our FHE treat as well (we do it Sunday night). Then this morning I didn't even have to go in the kitchen at all; I think that really helped. Honestly, I didn't experience any sort of great spiritual outpouring. That's partly due to the fact that I didn't make a huge effort besides skipping meals; I think if I were to really focus more next time and try harder, things might change. But, I'm proud of myself for at least making the effort to try and get back on the bandwagon. Small, simple things are the way to make big changes. I will try some of the same things next month and see how it works out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals