Reading Roundup: 2014

(Previous years: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007)

 I read at total of 74 books this year; this is 14 less than I read in in 2013. I actually feel good about the number going down a bit--I work full-time and I'm in school so I don't have as much free time any more. I still should be doing other things besides reading, but finding balance in my life is still a work in progress. I did read the Whitney finalists for all the adult fiction categories this year, which accounts for 20 of the fiction books (there were 25 finalists, but I had already read some of the books in 2013).

I read 61 fiction books and 13 nonfiction books, which seems to be about average for most years for me. I like nonfiction, but that usually means reading books that are dense and need more than a few hours to read. 60 of the books I read were written by women and 14 were written by men; this ratio has gone up and down for me over the years, but generally has been dominated by women. I don't consciously seek out women authors, but apparently I have a bias in this area.

As usual, here are some of my favorite books of the year (in no particular order):

Fiction
Mile 21 by Sarah Dunster
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Love Letters of the Angels of Death by Jennifer Quist
Longbourn by Jo Baker
My Name is Resolute by Nancy Turner
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
One Plus One by JoJo Moyes
The Martian by Andy Weir
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

 Nonfiction
The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout and Sarah Corbett
My Life in Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead
All Joy and No Fun by Jennifer Senior
The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
This is How We Grow by Christina Hibbert

I usually say something about movies that I watched, but this year I only saw 4. That's the lowest total I've ever had, probably at any point in my life. The only time I made it to the theater all year was to watch The Lego Movie with the kids (not included in the 4 I counted), and it was probably the best movie I watched. I did watch the last two seasons of Downton Abbey on DVD, as well as at least 2 seasons of Call the Midwife and I love both shows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals