Reading Roundup: 2016

(Previous years: 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007)

This year I read a total of 89 books this year--it felt like I had read more books than previous years, but that's actually right around my annual average.

I read 69 fiction books and 20 nonfiction books, which is right around my average as well. Every year when I add things up, I'm surprised I don't read more nonfiction. Nonfiction books usually take longer to read than much of the fiction I read, so that's probably part of the problem. Once again, one of my goals for this coming year is to change the ratio and up the number of nonfiction books I read. This year's ratio of author genders also holds no surprises: 61 books by women and 28 books by men. I think the type of fiction I enjoy tends to be female-dominated, and this explains much of this ratio.

I am going to write another post about my reading goals for this coming year, since I'm going to try creating my own personal reading challenge to get myself out of some of my ruts and to be more deliberate about what I read. In no particular order, here are the books I enjoyed most this year:

Fiction

Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld
Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
The Last Painting of Sara De Vos by Dominic Smith
Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson
Life After Life and A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson
Ordinary Grace by William Kent Kruger
The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
Brooklyn by Colm Toibin
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Nonfiction

Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life by William Finnegan
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

In Other Words by Jhumpa Lahiri
H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald
A Jane Austen Education by William Deresiewicz 
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
One of Us: The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway by
Asne Seierstad

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow 

Movies

I watched more movies again this year, for a total of 15. That's nowhere near my totals from previous years (and it doesn't count things I watched with the kids and don't review on the blog), but now that I'm done with school I have more free time for film again. I also have watched a few TV series throughout the year, and that can take up some of my media viewing time. Some of my favorite movies from this year were: 

Spotlight
Brooklyn 
Love and Friendship
Zootopia
Man Up
The Big Short

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear