The drug of the nation

I am about to confess one of the ways in which I am hypocritical, judgemental, and basically a bad person. I'm sorry to disappoint all of you, but I'm not perfect.

When I was a small child we did not have a television set at all. Apparently it broke before I was born and my parents never got around to fixing it. When I was about 8 or so, my dad bought a car from an old man who decided to throw in a TV as part of the deal. I remember that one of the first things we watched was some Disney movie of the week about a guide dog for the blind. It made me cry. After that, we had a variety of random old television sets until I was about 13 when we got a real, brand new TV. My parents just replaced it last year with a giant flat screen.

I have always said that I'm not a big fan of television and I don't watch it that much. If we had not received one as a wedding gift, I'm not sure when we would have gotten around to getting one. But, since we have one and we have cable, I will confess that I actually watch a fair amount of TV. I like the Food Network and those home makeover shows on TLC or whatever other channel shows them. I am also shamelessly addicted to shows like Law and Order and CSI, even though CSI is implausible, gory, and kind of lame. So even though I may publicly denounce the wasteland of pop culture and the lazy people who watch TV for fun, there are way too many nights in which I neglect my homework in favor of television. (Hanging my head in shame now).

I also decided a while ago that when I had children television would not be a major part of their lives either. There are many reasons why I feel this way and I'll admit that it's one of the issues I feel most judgemental about. I have way too much pride about the fact that I don't let my child watch very much television. But, I do let her watch some. We decided to teach her sign language when she was a baby. Then, when she was about 1 or so, I heard about these neat videos called Signing Time. I checked one out from the library, and really liked it so I started letting S-Boogie watch it once a day. I really hadn't intended to let her watch any TV until she was at least 2 or so, but Signing Time ruined my plans. But, they are shortish videos and very educational for both of us. We also just added some Veggie Tales videos to her rotation, because after a year and a half Signing Time seems to be getting a little old. We're still pretty strict about the one video a day limit, and I'm not yet willing to let her sit and watch an entire movie (plus I haven't really found any I'm comfortable with her watching at 2) The truth is, small amounts of television don't seem to be hurting her at all, and there have been times when she's been sick or in the hospital and needed something that distracting. I just have this weird angst over the fact that I too often judge others for letting their children watch TV, while I have the kid who loves going to the library because she can go downstairs and pick out a new video.

I will now go repeat to myself 100 times: I watch television and I am not a bad person.

Comments

svoid said…
We are all allowed our guilty pleasures. Don't tell anyone, but I actually listen to Kelly Clarkson. :P
Katya said…
My favorite part of a recent McSweeney's posting:

"Everyone knows that kids love television and candy. Yet I've met parents who refuse to give a baby candy or let it watch TV, and then complain when it cries. Wouldn't you cry if someone took away your bourbon and cut your cable line just as Desperate Housewives was about to commence? What if Eva Longoria said something especially sassy and you missed it?"
Lady Steed said…
Foxy--

Now I know why I always feel uncomfortable around you...

Theric and I started out with the same mission regarding the Big O and TV. In fact our pediatrician suggested that we not let O watch any tv/movies until he was six.

We were really really good during his first year, but it's all gone to pot.

We do not have any cable, so all we can do is watch movies. I would guess that O watches about three or four movies a day. The current favorite is My Neighboor Totoro, which he watches at least twice a day.

He spends WAY too much time in front of the TV. But at least he's not seeing any commercials.

I feel like a horrible horrible parent and you are right to judge me for I am, in fact, not a good mommy.
*hanging head in shame*
Jenny said…
Yeah, I had a big goal to not let Savannah watch TV until she was two, but once I got pregnant it all went to pot. I was trying to teach her how to watch tv. It was pretty sad.
Then I was in class in Nov and the majority of the girls in the class (I say girls becuase almost all of them were under 21) were talking about how when they had kids they would never have a tv. I just sat there and smirked.
You forgot to mention that Sophie watches Jeopardy almost every day. :)
Ithink that every child should watch Veggie Tales, they make me happy! In moderation of course. :)
Ithink that every child should watch Veggie Tales, they make me happy! In moderation of course. :)
Katria said…
Baby Einstein is also highly educational and good for babies and toddlers.

Plus each one is only about 20 minutes long.

I once baby sat a 9-month old, and she LOVED her Baby Einstein. While she couldn't talk yet, she still knew all her colors and was more than capable of expressing herself in a positive manner.

She also liked Barney, but I can't highly recommend that one.

Said videos can be found at Walmart, Target, etc.

And, dood, I totally agree with not letting your kids sit in front of the TV for long periods of time.
Thirdmango said…
Wow, had tv and bad person been the case, i would have gone to hell at the age of six. I love tv. I grew up on it and I'm going into a profession that makes things shown on tv. I will be an evil corporation when I grow up, yay! I do respect the no tv thing though, especially in young life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals