I'm not a homosexual, but I play one on TV

I guess I'm starting to feel better because I'm getting fired up over the news today. To be blunt, I get really pissed off when people use the tragedies of others for their own political agenda. I've had a few sudden deaths in my family over the years and so I have a lot of empathy for Heath Ledger's family and friends right now.

I really don't get why people are freaking out because, as an actor, he pretended to be a homosexual man in a movie. Um, that's what actors do. Why don't we condemn everyone who plays child molesters, mass murderers, adulterers, torturers, and so on? How many people were picketing Marlon Brando's funeral? Also, has anyone who thinks Brokeback Mountain promotes a "gay agenda" actually seen the movie? If you can call living a life of quiet desperation, sleeping with prostitutes, breaking up your family, and getting beaten to death some kind of gay idyll, then I think you're pretty strange. While it's true that the movie portrays its characters sympathetically I had no desire to switch my orientation and move to Wyoming (sorry Sam). This is yet another reason why I'm glad I don't listen to Fox News.

Comments

M said…
Ditto on the no Fox News-age.

It makes me sad that people can't get outside themselves enough to realize that there are people who are different than they are. And that those people need/deserve a voice just as much as the mainstream.
Kailey said…
BRAVA, HERE HERE, and YOU GO GIRL! I couldn't believe it when I read what those Baps were thinking of doing in the midst of this FAMILY'S tragedy. Give me a break!!! Maybe it just goes to show what a good actor he was... and how delusional these specific people from the south are! Thanks for saying what I was thinking. I hope you are feeling better.
Vanessa Swenson said…
I don't get why people even listen/read the Fox News hate-dribble, and still think that it's news and not hate-mongering propaganda to further their own cookie-cutter agenda. Somehow Heath Ledger deserves to die? Eh?
Courtney said…
Yes, Fox News is soooo bad.

I had never thought about it in terms of people hating actors who portray murderers or molesters, etc. What a good argument! I knew it bothered me when people shunned an actor for playing someone gay, but I couldn't put my finger on a coherent example of why.

I didn't know people were protesting Heath Ledger's funeral (probably because I don't watch Fox News?). I'm glad I didn't know, because that makes me pretty mad. He was such a talented actor; his death is such a loss.
Kengo Biddles said…
Fox News gives me Hives, Mono, and Shingles.

I agree with you 100% Foxy.
Rochelle said…
You are amazing... again... I couldn't agree more.
Anonymous said…
One of my friends is gay. Stike that many of my friends are gay. I live in Utah, and you can only imagine what they all go through. One of my good friends' boyfriends committed suicde a few months ago. It was an absolutly devastating event. I was shaken to the core about it. I went to the funeral. There were PICKETERS. Chanting to us as we were walking in MOUNRING the passing of our dear friend, about how "if we didn't associate with 'people like this' we wouln't feel this pain..."... I am a very outspoken person. I was so shocked and dumbfounded I just stood there. Staring at them. I felt every emotion, anger, no DISDAIN for them, hatred for people who pass such UNREASONABLE judgements... and utter sadness for his family who were having to deal with that. I quickly ran inside called teh cops, and they came and made them leave. I still can't get over their behavior. I forgot we ARE only supposed to be friends with perfect people. THen our lifes will be sunshine rainbows and butterflies... seriously people never cease to amaze me.
Anonymous said…
..... ohh and don't even get me started on Fox news.... PS I just re-read my comment, and it was full of typos... I was just so into what I was writing I didn't notice how poorly I was typing it all. Apologies!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals