National Poetry Month: Day 27

I think I forgot about posting yesterday. In other news, this is post number 1000 on my blog. It seems like we should have some kind of celebration but I just don't feel like it. I've been pretty cranky for the last week or so. Change is hard--I feel like I'm throwing a bit of a tantrum. I don't want a new job. I don't want to have to hire a babysitter. I don't want to spend this summer working while my kids play with someone else all day. I don't want to have to do that each summer for the rest of their lives. I don't want my life anymore; I want someone else's. I know that this is the right step for me and for my family. I have had a clear answer that this is where I need to go. And yet, it is still so hard. But I know I'll keep surviving; I have in the past and I can keep going. My mantra lately is "the only way out is through." After a bit of time on Google I found out that this line actually comes from a Robert Frost poem; that one is too long and not quite the one I want today. This one is shorter and fits the mood better:

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.  
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Comments

Recession Cone said…
I've loved this poem ever since I heard it sung in a beautiful setting by Eric Whitacre. When Frost's estate found out about an unauthorized musical setting of a Frost poem, they objected. =(
Nowadays the same music is sung with a new poem, which is lovely too. But I love the original best.

Story.
Music (+ tasteless slideshow).
Recession Cone said…
Sorry, I forgot to say that I get cranky too - although for much less significant reasons...

All the best.
Desmama said…
I love this poem so very much. "But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." *Happy sigh*

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear