Weekends

I feel like my last post left things hanging--I did feel sick the next day (Wednesday), but finally on Thursday I felt a little more like myself and by Friday I was feeling great. Last weekend was a good one--the sun came out and we had some nice weather, and I was able to get things done. On Saturday morning I went to the temple, in the afternoon I went to see a movie (Manchester by the Sea), and in between I ran some errands and cleaned my house. 

I realized last month that too often my weekends when I don't have kids are all spent consuming--running errands to buy things or seeking out entertainment. I don't think that's a horrible thing, since I need to maintain my house and feed my family, and I need to relax as well. But I also sometimes worry that I'm not using my time as well as I could. Even though it's been a few months since I finished school, the amount of free time I have without homework still feels a bit overwhelming. There is a lot of potential time on a Saturday and I don't think I want to always spend it all shopping or binge watching TV shows. So for now I'm pondering how I want my life to be and how I really want to use my time. One thing I need to do is figure out how to make more friends and have more relationships with people, but that's hard and scary (right now I can go an entire weekend without kids and never interact with anyone). I also think I need to find start more active hobbies, like hiking or biking, but again that's new and a little scary too. 

This weekend the kids were here and it's mostly been good so far. S-Boogie had an overnight retreat for young women's on Friday, so I just had the younger two kids here. After dinner we ran to the grocery store to pick up a few things. We also spent some money picking out food for the food drive that was happening Saturday morning; there have been times in my life I couldn't be as generous as I wanted to be, and now that I have a bit more money I enjoy being able to contribute to stuff. Friday night the kids wanted to watch the animated Beauty and the Beast, and then yesterday afternoon we went and saw the new version at the theater. Yesterday morning Little Dude had play practice and S-Boogie was still gone, so it was just me and P. Bibby. We cleaned the bathrooms and other parts of the house and went to the library. In the afternoon I took the younger two to see the movie, since S-Boogie had a major school project that's due on Monday, and she's going to see the movie with friends later this week. During the last year we've really transitioned to the stage of life where she's often busy doing school or church stuff, or hanging out with her friends, rather than doing stuff with us. It's a little weird and I don't totally like it, but I can deal with it. I'm glad she has a busy life full of things that make her happy. If her schedule isn't making her happy anymore, then we can talk. 

And now it's another Sunday morning and I feel like that last few weeks have flown by. We're already halfway through March. The time changed last weekend and the weather warmed up, so it feels like things are suddenly sunny and warm all the time. Just two weeks ago everything was gloomy, snowy, and cold. Life changes fast. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals