The Dilemma

A few years ago we decided that for birthdays and Christmas our kids would each receive three gifts: a new toy, a new book, and something to wear. I like the fact that limiting gifts forces us to be thoughtful about what we get her, it's easier on our budget, and it keeps events from dragging on through massive present orgies. I also like the fact that other people get her presents too, and I don't want grandma and grandpa feeling like they can't get her anything because she already has so much stuff. And more than anything we want special days to focus on the celebration and other traditions, not the loot. So far, this has worked out well for S-Boogie and for us. I don't think that she has an excessive amount of stuff, and she plays with and enjoys most of the things she has.

I just realized that her birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I have no idea what we're going to get her this year. I really like simple toys that encourage imaginative, creative play and that don't involve a lot of loud noises or gimmicks. I also really hate cheap toys that fall apart or break easily and I'm not a big fan of character tie-ins or Barbies. Right now she totally loves playing with her Duplos, her Mr. Potato Head (and his bucket of parts), and just playing elaborate imaginative things with her duckie and her baby doll. Two things I'm considering are a little train set like the one The Big O has, because she enjoyed playing with his or some furniture to play with her dolly, like this or this. Hmm, good thing I still have some time to decide...

Comments

JB said…
That's a cool idea.
Melyngoch said…
I know! You should get her a wooden carrot that looks like a penis! Unless, that is, she already has one.
skyeJ said…
hey, it's cutting FOOD, not cutting BODY PARTS!!! (You know you want to get a set for yourself, too.) :-)
Katria said…
Hmm... I'd go with the shopping cart. But then, I'm a little biased, because I had one growing up and used it every day of my life (well, that is, until I didn't use it).

Maybe this is why I am so prone to love shopping....
Cricket said…
The cart is great until you get the foolish idea to let her bring it to the store one time and then it becomes a battle when you no longer want to drag the thing back and forth every time you go to the store.

The Dr bit is cute.... how many of her friends are boys?

The train is cool, they like putting the track together all different ways and the fit they throw when it comes apart at the joint when the train is going over it- totally worth it!

I say go to the back of any appliance store and pull a refridgerator box out for her... they always have more fun with the box anyway, AND it's really easy on your budget, LOL
FoxyJ said…
Mandi--thanks for giving me the experienced mom take on things, LOL! Wait until I post about the fun we've been having with her new trike from Grandpa. Two-year-olds have no idea what steering means...

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals