I didn't know you could do that!

It's funny how kids will do something and you'll realize that they've never done it before and that they are just as excited about this new step as you are. Tonight we were eating dinner and Little Dude was playing with his new favorite toy, the plastic place mat that came with the feeding chair. For some reason he loves holding and mouthing thin things, like the edge of the rug, the changing pad, and any tags or labels he can get his hands on. So he was playing with his place mat and held it up over his face. Then he took it away and started giggling. Then he put it back again. He played peekaboo with us for a while, until S-Boogie and I were totally giggling too. It was amazing--I've never seen him do that before. It was also amazing to watch his little face light up as he realized his power to do something on his own. I also can't begin to describe how beautiful his little laugh is. It's still a somewhat rare occasion, but it is so welcome after the months and months of screaming we've left behind us.

The other day S-Boogie found a coloring page with a snowman on it. The snowman didn't have a face, so I suggested she draw one. And she did--two very realistic circle eyes, a nice big nose, and a smiling mouth! I've never seen her do that before either. I've been trying to find the snowman paper so I can save it. Today was also her first day of preschool. She actually just went for an hour or so while Master Fob and I signed the papers and had an orientation. I think it will be a good fit for her--she marched right in and joined their circle in singing "I'm Going on a Bear Hunt". I had been nervous about her going potty by herself, but they have a nice potty room with little toilets and a little sink that she can use on her own. The teachers really encourage the kids to take care of as many of their own needs as possible, like clearing their lunch dishes, washing their hands, putting away toys, etc. We try to encourage those kinds of things, but our home isn't always set up for little people in the way a preschool classroom is. It was fun to see how she interacts with other kids and with her teachers. I still can't believe how big both my kids are getting!

Comments

Desmama said…
Those both sound like fun milestones your kids hit. Now I'm all queued to wait for TinyDes to start playing peek-a-boo with us in about three weeks (since she's that far behind LD, right?) Do you have any inspirational words for those of us still wringing our hands about potty-training?

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals