One More Try

Just when you thought you knew everything about me, I got tagged again. This time by Kengo Biddles, who I think is cool. The interesting twist on this particular meme is that it has been dubbed "The 8 Random Gay Mormon Facts", probably because it is circulating among the Gay Mormon bloggers. I am not Gay, but I am Mormon, so I will go ahead and answer.

1. Part of the reason for posting this today is because I recently wrote a post on Northern Lights and I know I am getting new visitors who were linked from that post. I thought they might want to know more about me than cookbook reviews and musings on my lack of cleavage.

2. I mostly submitted that post to Northern Lights because it felt funny to put it on my blog. I started this blog two years ago as my personal space, and so it deals with all facets of my life, not just my relationship with Mr. Fob. I will probably contribute occasionally to Northern Lights because I like what they are doing and I feel better about contributing to the dialogue there rather than here in this space.

3. I have been somewhat uncomfortable with the celebrity/notoriety we have gained for being so public about our relationship. The truth is, I mostly encouraged Mr. Fob to publish his essay so we could earn a little money (and so he could get some publications under his belt). I really didn't intend to set ourselves up as "experts" in any way.

4. The other two public appearances were voluntary and I actually don't regret them too much. We were willing to put our names and faces to an issue that most people don't want to address publicly. I've discovered that ignorance and prejudice are a lot harder to sustain once you get to know people.

5. I went to high school during the early 1990s in California. My school was diverse and liberal, but this was before the days when coming out in high school was cool so I really didn't know any gay people. Most of my exposure to homosexuality came from movies like The Birdcage or Philadelphia. At the same time, my parents are very loving and tolerant and I do not remember learning, at home or at church, that homosexuals were evil or perverted or anything like that. For most of my life, homosexuality was basically off my radar.

6. The first time I went to the Evergreen conference I felt very uncomfortable. We were still at the point where we both felt that our marriage wasn't very affected by things; we didn't talk about problems, so we assumed they didn't exist. When I attended a session for spouses it mainly turned into a venting session with women sharing stories of the horrible ways in which they had been betrayed by their husbands. I hope that during the last five years things have changed somewhat and that there is a little more emphasis on the diversity of relationships. Basically I felt weird because at the time I was the only woman there who hadn't been cheated on and who hadn't found out about her husband's homsexuality through betrayal.

7. We have a variety of friends that are gay, straight, single, married, actively Mormon, inactively Mormon, parents, childless, etc. I can honestly say that I feel the same about all of them. I will admit that the first time we had a gay friend and his boyfriend come over for dinner I felt a little weird about it. Mostly because it was a new experience for me. But now I love them both and have never felt weird around them. Or any of our other friends.

8. Mr. Fob and I have decided that for now we would like to stay married and work things out. Some issues have not changed: he still doesn't want to attend church with me, I still want a PhD. But other things have changed; we've both been in counseling these last few months and have made a lot of changes in our attitudes and our interactions. I love him, he loves me, and we are recommiting to making our marriage work.

Comments

That #8 is a shocker! I didn't know you want to get a PhD. How does this fit in our plan to have you barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen?
FoxyJ said…
I thought you were going to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Crap.
robin marie said…
great post, both here and on northern lights. and #8 made me happy for you!
Kengo Biddles said…
I'm flattered that you think I'm cool. Foxy, I think you're cool, too, and I've given Miki your blogdress, so you'll have her commenting and reading on your blog, too.

If we ever move up to Seattle so Miki can finish her Lit. Bachelor's at UW (where they have THE program she wants to be in), we'll have to have you guys over for dinner.

I may be looking at grad-school someday, too, so congrats on thinking about a PhD.

And Fob, being barefoot and pregnant isn't so bad. I've considered trying it myself a few times. ;)
Mama said…
What neat news.

I very much enjoyed your post on Nothern Lights and thank you for sharing it. Best wishes to your family!!!

(BTW - I loved being barefoot, preggers, and in the kitchen. And I swear when Mr. Mormon would catch me that way, he'd smirk a little. men......)
Recession Cone said…
It makes me very happy to hear you two are persevering, especially for your kids' sake. You'll continue to be in my prayers.
Sposita said…
happy news! we're heart-glad for your family.
elbow said…
I just love you. Your blog is great and you seem like such an amazing person. Good luck to all of you in your future path.
skyeJ said…
Wow. I loved the "Northern Lights" post. I love it when honesty resonates in your soul as you read. I'm really happy about #8, too. :)
Krista said…
Wow. I am a total weirdo. I just wrote my friend a whole email about how you guys are recommitting yourselves to making your marriage work, and how it has given me back the faith (that I have recently been losing) in marriage, commitment, integrity, etc...

She wrote back, "WHO?", but none the less... I really feel thrilled for you guys.
Kristeee said…
You two are tough cookies, you know that? I'm impressed by your level of commitment and willingness to see each other (and the kids) through. I enjoyed the Northern Lights post - I think that we all have parts of ourselves that we're tempted to hide away and not reveal for fear of rejection. But I also know that, in a marriage, it just doesn't work well. Excellently put, Foxy. And good luck to you both.
Desmama said…
For as happy as I am for both of you (and believe me, I am so very thrilled), I think I'm even more happy for your beautiful children. Best of luck to you--this is wonderful.
wow. what an amazing post. you are so strong and dedicated is impresses me and encourages me to become stronger myself. good luck with #8, you deserve to be happy!!
Melyngoch said…
Exxxcelllennnnnnt.

(not in a Mr Burns way)
-L- said…
Many thanks for just being great. You and your other half. :-)
ambrosia ananas said…
2-It's a great article.
3-Money is almost always a good reason.
8-Hoorah!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on #8. I am happy for you. And you'll do wonderfully in graduate school. Dr. Foxy. I like it!
Lady Steed said…
I joyous to hear that you guys are giving it another go.
Anonymous said…
I'm kind of late reading "One More Try" and commenting, so you may never see this comment.

But if you do, thanks for your candor. #8 on your list added to my hope. I am happy for you and your family.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals