Cinema Nacho Cheesio

We watched the Academy Awards last night. It was a lot of fun, mostly because we had a party with a bunch of friends and way, way too much food. I woke up this morning with a nacho cheese hangover, but it was worth it.

Whenever I watch the Academy Awards I think I need to watch more movies. I had seen hardly any of the movies that had been nominated. I also have never seen anything by Robert Altman, even though I've heard he's very, very good. This fact embarrasses me a little, since I'm writing my thesis about literature and film. But, I have watched a lot of old movies. I love film noir--now I just need to catch up on the last 10 or 15 years of film.

I also realized that over the last year or so, most of the movies we have gone to see in the theater have been at the insistence of Master Fob (Batman Begins, Brokeback Mountain, Dave Chapelle's Block Party). I'm not sure if this means that I no longer have my own opinions, that I don't care about movies as much as he does, or whether we actually have grown so much alike that they aren't really "his" movies anymore. I'm actually leaning towards the latter option, because I really liked all of them. I did want to see Walk the Line and Pride and Prejudice in the theater and didn't, so maybe I should start asserting my choices a little more. Oh, I just remembered that we also saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Just Like Heaven, both of which were certainly decided on equally by ourselves. So no, I'm not oppressed.

Anyways, the other night we drove to West Jordan in order to see Dave Chappelle's Block Party. It was actually one of the funnest, best movies I've seen in quite a while. Dave is a charismatic guy and it was lots of fun to see him in action. Plus it was neat to see all the musicians getting together and doing what they do best--making music and having a good time. I really did want to stand up in the theater and throw my hands in the air along with the audience on the screen. Even if you aren't a raging hip hop fan, I'd recommend it. It is rated R for adult language, but it still has much fewer swear words than Crash, less violence than Munich, and much less angst than Brokeback Mountain.

Comments

Fewer gay cowboys too.
Hmmm, yummy food, good friends, and lots of montages. Good times. :) Thanks for hosting!
We should make a montage homage of the party.
Thirdmango said…
If you want to see a Robert Altman movie I own Gosford Park and can let you borrow it. If you want to know what an Altman film is like, it was a lot like how they were presenting Altman with the two girls triping over each other's lines. His stuff is really good. Let me know if you want to borrow Gosford Park.
A montage of Oscars moments? (I'm sure someone already made one) or were you secretly filming the party so you could make a montage of party moments?

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals