My Happy Place

About four years ago, when S-Boogie was a tiny baby, I typed some parenting concern into Google looking for advice. One of the search results was a thread on a message board that catered to other LDS moms. I was immediately hooked; I'd never used message boards before, but as a new mom I loved the interaction with other moms. However, after a year or so of spending time on the board I started to grow disillusioned. I never really felt like I fit in, and I often felt like my comments were ignored or dismissed. At the same time, several of my friends started blogs and I happened to stumble onto Dooce. This seemed like something even better than a message board--I could write whatever I want and people would actually listen to me. I hoped that blogging would help me improve my writing skills and emotional awareness and that it would be a way for me to preserve a bit of my life history somewhere.

Now, more than two years and five hundred posts later, I'm still happy with blogging. I know this blog is somewhat eclectic in its content, but I like the fact that it reflects my interests. I like to cook, so sometimes I post recipes. I like to read and watch movies. I like to get outraged over trivial issues or perceived injustices. I like to get outraged over real injustices. Now I can do it all in my own space. I'm thankful that over the last few years I've also been able to keep my space relatively sheltered. I recently signed up for a network that provides ads as well as links to my blog. I will be honest and say that I did it mostly to get a little extra money. I also like the extra attention. However, I do have mixed feelings about this because I like my little community here. I love the conversations I can have with my internet friends and I'm always wary to expand the circle.

Now that blogging is becoming entrenched as a social phenomenon there has been a lot of debate about blogs. Are they simply showcases for narcissistic bragging? Are they just another way for people to hide behind an idealized facade? Am I just wearing a mask? Surely this is in some way true. The things I post, the links I put up, even the name of my blog, are all things carefully chosen to reflect values that I have. At the same time, I don't think this is always a bad thing. For me, sometimes masks and roles help me branch out and find new facets of my self that I want to nourish in some way. I love the many communities of bloggers that are out there. I visit a variety of sites that all speak to different parts of my soul. Most of the time, this is an enriching environment for growth. And so, I am going to keep blogging. I'm going to keep posting all kinds of things about myself and my world, from the mundane to the substantial. I'm interested to see where the next five hundred posts take me and I hope my readers want to come along for the ride too.

Comments

Lindsay said…
I know I speak for more than myself when I say that we like what you write about and are most certainly looking forward to the next 500(+) posts!

I agree, though. Blogging has also become my own little happy place. I love the motivation "publishing" gives me to write. I love the circle of friends I've made by doing so. I love the outlet it has become for me.
JB said…
I'm probably a little bit of an awkward commenter, since we don't always have a lot of experiences in common, but I love reading your posts! :) Happy 500th!
Desmama said…
I, too, love blogging, mostly because of the friendships created with people I probably wouldn't even know otherwise. I saw a little graphic once that said "I love my computer because my friends live in it!" Yep, it's true!
ambrosia ananas said…
Blogging is great. I refuse to believe it's usually about one's self-centeredness. I think it's a great way to stay in contact with people and to have interesting discussions that one might not feel comfortable engaging in in other circumstances.

As for wearing a mask . . . unless you're deliberately pretending to be something you're not, I don't see it as a big deal. Most people demonstrate different sides of their personality depending on whom they're around. I think a blog can be helpful in solidifying who and what a person wants to be.

And thanks for posting about the things you cooked for Thanksgiving. Bawb wants me to make some of them, now. : )
Jenny said…
I enjoy reading your blog and I'm glad that we got to meet! It is definitely my favorite memory of Seattle.

For me, blogging has been a nice outlet, a good way for my family and friends to keep tabs on us, and some form of journal keeping for the kids.
Kristeee said…
I think that blogging's a great way to be able to express your feelings in a public, yet somehow private-feeling venue. It's great fun being able to share in others' lives and make friends across the web. Thanks for letting us all ride along!
Great post--you put into words what I have also been thinking about. Today I've been reflecting on the word "publish." In this fast paced Internet world, anybody can be a publisher. It doesn't always follow that if you think it and write it that it is worth reading, however: at least not to the general masses. Thanks for being an oasis of good writing, clear thinking and examined living.
Mo said…
Yeah, what you said!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals