I'm defective

This afternoon I stopped by my midwives' office in order to get my paperwork and stuff all set for this pregnancy, since I'll be hitting the twelve week mark on Thursday (hooray!). The office manager lady was going over my paperwork and history when she suddenly said, "Oh, just a minute" and left the room. She came back a little while later and told me that I am probably now classified as "high risk" and that they probably won't be able to treat me during this pregnancy. They need to confer with their back-up doctor and get back to me, but chances are that I'm going to have to switch to the doctors. They're great doctors and they did a wonderful job with my c-section, but I like my midwives a lot (pout).

The reason why I am now considered high-risk is because during my last pregnancy we discovered that my uterus is defective. The inside is supposed to be like a cozy little round room, but
mine has part of the room blocked off and the roof partly caved in. S-Boogie did all right in there and didn't want to leave, but apparently this defect can cause babies to want to exit early, so it's considered a high-risk condition. Also, because I had the c-section before and because I had a poor history of contractions (rather, no contractions) and bleeding, we're planning on another surgery this time around. And the midwives don't do surgery or high-risk cases. Which is too bad for me. I like the atmosphere in their office and I don't feel like having some old guy poke around my private areas. Hopefully they'll decide in my favor--I should know in a week or so what the verdict is.

Comments

JB said…
Good luck! :)
Th. said…
.

Good luck, Foxy. Were I a woman I would rather be with those midwives as well.

We've been doing some preemptive research and to see midwizes here in California, we'll have to drive into downtown LA.

Can you believe that crap?
Tolkien Boy said…
There ARE female gynocologists, aren't there?
FoxyJ said…
Yes, there are female gynecologists as well, but the problem is really the contrast between the midwife mindset and the doctor mindset. They are two very different things. I really shouldn't complain, since the doctors are some of the best in the county and I should feel privileged to be seen by them. I just don't like being labeled.
skyeJ said…
A midwife mindset is a wise mindset to tell you that she cannot give you good care with your uterus. You are one of the few cases where a pregnancy can turn into a "medical problem", and they were wise enough to point that out. This is coming from your oh-so-paranoid labor nurse sister. I agree with the midwives....
skyeJ said…
P.S. YOU are not defective. Your uterus is shaped differently than the majority them. It is still quite effective in that it can still be used for its given purpose- housing the soon-to-be wild ones. If you didn't have access to doctors, you might be dead right now. Or, without a working child or a working uterus.
Th. said…
.

Yes, we have read Baby Catcher--while she was pregnant, I believe.

In defense of my part of California, Bakersfield has an extremely nice birthing center.

As for midwives--I can't believe that not even LA has any to speak of. I didn't realize that they were so hard to come by. But of course, I assumed that everything that happened in our first pregnancy was normal. Which fallacy is that?

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals