Stop the giggling already!

So I am taking a Spanish class that is called something like "Film Noir and Postmodern Literature in Spain". We are reading contemporary novels and looking at how film has influenced them. It's a very interesting class, but I'm getting a little tired of some of the immature people in there. Most of them are guys, and I'm assuming they are all returned missionaries since they speak Spanish. I am well aware that serving a mission does not make you a grown up, but if you are going to take an upper-division Spanish class that focuses on contemporary fiction than maybe you should grow up a little.

Case in point--we've been watching a movie during part of class over the last few days. I'm not totally sure why we're watching the movie, but it's based on a book that most of us have read before and we're reading another book by the same author. It's in Spanish, without subtitles. There's an old guy that likes to use very colorful language at times, and every time he does, three or four people in the class giggle/chortle/snort (whatever you want to call it). Also, the two main characters are a boy who is about 13 and a girl who is about 14. She has tuberculosis and he starts visiting her at home (the movie is set in the 1940s). Well, the other day she asked him if he wanted to listen to her lungs, so she ended up pressing his head to her chest. Ooh, sexual tension--let's all laugh nervously. Aargh, it's seriously driving me nuts. The movie is not meant to be a comedy, but someone is always giggling or making little incredulous comments. It's not like there's even any nudity or anything, it's PG! (Well, if they put in subtitles it would get up to at least PG-13). Urgh, some people in my class really need to get over the fact that people sometimes talk about sex and sometimes they even want to have it (oh the horror!).

Comments

Cricket said…
people... really need to get over the fact that people sometimes talk about sex and sometimes they even want to have it (oh the horror!).

LOL, people who've never had it, don't realize what a non-big deal it is.

After I got married, my mom confessed to me that after her first time she was disappointed that she'd waited "for that"
FoxyJ said…
Yeah, I realized a while ago that I thought about sex way more often before I was married than I do now. And, I think about it in a totally different way. It's definitely a lot more "normal" now for me, LOL:)
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
Amen--about the giggling. It's one of the nice things about being away from the BYU, the lack of giggling over things like that. I'm not saying there's a complete lack of it, just that it seems to be greatly reduced. Of course, I am in a linguistics program, so maybe I don't even know.
Melyngoch said…
AHHHH! DON'T TALK ABOUT THE . . . S- . . . THING! MY VIRGIN EYES!
Melyngoch said…
Actually, what this reminds me of is my English 251 class at BYU, which I took the first semester of my freshling year. I signed up (naturally) to do a presentation on feminist theory, and we included Louise Gluck's poem "Mock Oranges." Much to my surprise, the only response we could get out of most the class was giggling. So were crushed my fantasies that college would be different from high school.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals