Fun for Friday: The Big White Envelope

This post over at Times and Seasons led me to a whole new way to waste time: watching video of people opening their mission calls on You Tube. It is, of course, inevitable that people would start using this medium for broadcasting their life milestones, and getting your call really is a milestone. Most people probably only put their video up for friends and family, but it's still fun to watch even if you don't know them. My favorite is this one of two guys from Finland. It's probably not as funny if you speak Finnish, but it made me bust a gut watching them.

It also made me realize that it's been nearly 8 years since I opened my envelope. I don't remember many specifics of the moment; there wasn't a large crowd there and no one was taping it or anything. I spent most of that night and the next day in shock, because I hadn't considered Spain and I didn't know much about the country. But I'm still glad I went and I will always cherish my mission memories.

Comments

Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
That was highly entertaining. I can't believe it's been so long (also almost 8 years) since I opened my call. I was alone in my bedroom with my parents on the phone since they lived in Peru and I was at BYU. I remember being mildly disappointed that I was going to Santiago, Chile, since I'd already been there. Then I read on and discovered I had four weeks before I had to report to the MTC and things got a little more exciting...
Desmama said…
I opened mine just over seven years ago. Reading "Texas San Antonio" didn't nearly elicit the screams that "Santiago Chile West" did for my sister a few weeks ago. Ah well.
daltongirl said…
I never opened my call. I couldn't do it. So I had my friends open it and then make me guess where I was going. That was fun. I reacted kind of like that kid from Finland.

Twenty-two years ago--kind of seems like a long, long time.
Melyngoch said…
oooohhhh -- I should get me a camera. Instant fame!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals