My new love

This afternoon the kids both boycotted their naps, so by 4 o'clock we were all sitting there feeling tired and cranky while staring outside at the damp cold playground. So what else should I decide to do but bundle them in the car and trot off to the grocery store? Yes, sleep deprivation really does bring on insanity. I had never been to Trader Joe's before, but after hearing enough people rave about it I had been thinking about it for a few weeks now. We did need a few things from a store, and I felt embarrassed dropping S-Boogie off at the usual grocery's fun center with a giant swollen lip. Plus the car ride would buy us more time before bedtime and I had to walk up to the car anyway to get the stroller out of the trunk.

After I got there I decided that 5 o'clock is a bad time to take small children to a small, crazy-busy grocery store that I'd never been to before. Well, any time is a bad time to take kids to the store. But once I got in there and started looking around I realized that I was in love. It's the perfect combination for people like me: yummy, healthy food and super cheap prices. Organic mango spread for less than $2.00! Whole wheat couscous for $2.00 a box! A big hunk of Gouda cheese for only $3! It probably helps that I've been shopping at the fancy store for too long, because everything seemed like a fantastic deal. It reminded me a lot of the funky, ghetto state-sponsored grocery store in Spain that pretty much only carries its own brand of products.

By the time we left I had gone way over my budget and acquired several large paper bags of food. I realized my folly when I pulled into my apartment complex and suddenly needed to get three bags of groceries and two small children (and a diaper bag, because I'm insecure enough not to run to the store without supplies) all the way from my car to my house. Luckily I had my stroller in the trunk; I ended up putting the groceries in the stroller because the handles on one of the bags broke. In order to celebrate tonight I gave S-Boogie and Little Dude some cookies for dessert. Yeah, I know, I'm feeding the baby cookies. But they were organic, whole-grain, low-fat cookies that only cost me $2 for a giant container!

Comments

Tina said…
My mother in law loves that store too and always brings us some snacks when she visits. By the way- what is the "grocery's fun center?"
Lindsay said…
Yesterday my husband and I were given a bar of Trader Joe's Belgian Milk Chocolate. It just may have been enough for me to trek to Indianapolis to see this store for myself!
ambrosia ananas said…
Mmmm. Mango spread sounds great.
FoxyJ said…
Tina--

The grocery store we usually go to has a "fun center" where you can drop your kids off to play while you shop (supervised of course). I've never seen that in a store before, but S-Boogie loves it!

And I always shop there because of the free day care and it's right by my house.
Tina said…
That is awesome. I would love that. You would think going to the store would be easier for me now that my kids are older. But all it really means is that they run faster, heely into everyone, or try to play catch or tag. Yeah.. I don't go shopping with them very often.
daltongirl said…
Trader Joe's is awesome! I would be jealous if they weren't building a Good Earth around the corner from my house right now.

No, wait, I'm still jealous. The Good Earth will never sell me a giant box of organic, whole-grain cookies for $2. I need a part-time job just to get my food there.
Earth Sign Mama said…
I LOVE Trader Joe's. They also have a big selection of frozen fish filets that are so tasty. (Or maybe I should have said "frozen fish filets that are so fine" or "fabulous frozen fish filets" or "fantastically fine frozen fish filets"...you get my drift.
Kengo Biddles said…
I need to find me one of them stores ... it's like Wegmans in Virginia and New York ... the cheese section made me and Miki cry, it made us so homesick.
skyeJ said…
Going to the store with a diaper bag is not "insecure". It is WISE. Wise, wise wisdom. Exceeding wiseness. Wise like a vise. or something... Did they call the Boy Scouts "insecure"? NO! They are prepared! Like Preparation H.
mm. mango.
Lady Steed said…
Welcome to the land of TJ's: Great, good food, reasonable prices, way too small of a store.

We have a TJ's by us and I go there frequently. I think I have had maybe three truly pleasant shopping experiences there. Their stores are just way too small for their popularity! The aisles need to be wider or the shopping carts even smaller. When I go, I try to use a basket, avoid the cart--which, of course, is impossible if you have small children.
So, Trader Joe's, great store horrible space planning.
Natalie Gordon said…
I've never been to TJ's, but my dad sent me some Cat Cookies (for people) from there, once. And they were yummy.

And, no, I am not being clever. They were really called Cat Cookies (for people).
FoxyJ said…
Natalie--

The "cat cookies" are what we got. I love how on the package it says "for people". S-Boogie likes them and I think they make a decent snack too.
Sposita said…
The Dude adore the Cat Cookies (for people) also. When we move away from TJ's, I think we're going to have major withdrawl syndrome.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals