I'm a survivor

Well, I made it to Utah all in one piece. I didn't even break down crying, even though I wanted to at several points throughout the day:

Little Dude woke up at 3 this morning and refused to go back to sleep. He's been running a slight fever and had a plugged up nose for the last two days. By the time I got him back to sleep it was nearly 5:30 in the morning. And then S-Boogie woke up at 7. Mommy was not a happy camper.

When we got to the airport and were checking in, the lady yelled at me and threatened me with a $10,000 fine because I forgot to bring a copy of Little Dude's birth certificate. I really spaced that one, I'll admit, but she was pretty cranky about it. Plus the last time I flew with him, no one asked for it. I also think it's dumb that they don't require ID of any type for small children S-Boogie's age.

I thought we had timed things well by hanging around in the awesome play area for a while before arriving at our gate. We got there 20 minutes before the flight was supposed to leave and got in the line for preboarding (standing up because there were no chairs left in the vicinity). 25 minutes later, we were still standing there waiting. S-Boogie kept loudly proclaiming "I want to get on the airplane, Mom" at least once every thirty seconds, much to the amusement of our fellow passengers. Our flight left half an hour late; we never got any explanation for that.

The kids behaved well on the airplane, and it was even a not-quite-full flight so I could bring Little Dude's seat on board (by the way, it's worth investing in a backpack to carry your carseat through the airport). The worst part was trying to get off the airplane, because for some reason I had a lot of trouble getting the seat back into the bag. Thankfully there was a very nice girl who was willing to hold Little Dude for me while I wrestled with the backpack. Then as I was stepping off the plane, the handle on my carry-on broke. I guess I get to go diaper bag shopping tomorrow.

I got a smart cart and got our luggage fairly easily. Then we went to the rental car place (I don't usually rent a car in Utah, but my mom is flying up and a rental makes sense for this trip). I reserved the car from the cheapest price on Orbitz, and I had been under the impression that it was from an agency located at the airport. Apparently I didn't read the fine print. My reservation was at the place that had a shuttle to their location "next to the airport". I looked at the lady, looked at my cart loaded with bags and two wild kids, looked at the pouring rain outside and announced that there was no way in hell I was taking a shuttle. So I took my business elsewhere. While in the middle of filling out forms for my new, over-priced rental car, S-Boogie announced "I need to go potty. The poop cannot wait to come out!". The rental agent was nice enough to process everything while I ran S-Boogie to the nearest bathroom, and a friendly airport employee stood guard over my cart while we took care of business.

And then we got our stuff in the car and drove to Orem and rejoiced that this day was behind us. Little Dude still has a fever, so I'd better get to bed soon since it could be a rough night.

Comments

Desmama said…
*Interrupts reading your post to say something*

I can't believe a lady yelled at you. I am so mad. It's hard enough traveling with two little kids. I am so mad. I've never had to take any form of ID for my kids, so I wouldn't have known what to do if I suddenly needed it. I am so mad!
That's quite the day. Congratulations on making it through. You are capable of doing hard things.

So I take it no FAA inspectors came on board and fined you?
Tina said…
You win the Difficult Day Award! Hopefully it will make the trip back seem like a piece of cake.
Lindsay said…
You made it! Hooray!

Also, you need a copy of your infant's birth certificate to fly? What's this all about?
skyeJ said…
Haa!! Poop is coming out!! I'm so glad that there are people in the world who are compassionate to strangers with children. Hamdulilah! Wish I could've been with you to help.
skyeJ said…
Haa!! Poop is coming out!! I'm so glad there are people in this world who are compassionate to strangers with children in airports. :) Wish I was there to help.
Earth Sign Mama said…
Maybe that phrase is just patterned into our DNA....
Samantha said…
I've been there--it's the day that seems like it may never end. You handled everything beautifully.

And by the way, if you had cried, it would have been okay. Embarrassing, but okay.
Kristeee said…
Wow - good job making it with your sanity intact! Do they make you have a birth certificate just in case you're trying to smuggle an infant into the country? And it's not like there's a picture or anything on it; how do they know who the kid really is? And yelling at a mom with two kids? Totally lame. Someone must have peed in her Cheerios or something.
Vanessa Swenson said…
I'm proud of you for your amazing survival skills.
What's harder, writing a thesis or traveling on 3 hours sleep?
Jenny said…
That lady is a real cow. I wish someone behind you or some employee next to her would make a formal complaint. And maybe even get her fired. I'm glad you made it and you didn't cry. You are awesome.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals