I don't like my car

I got in a car accident on January 2nd. It was the last day of my break before going back to work and I wanted to start it out by going to the temple. Right after turning left off one big street onto another smaller one, I saw a car start to turn left out of a parking lot off to my right. As I was thinking "I'm going to hit them", while applying my brakes, I ran right into their car just behind the driver's side. For some reason my air bag didn't go off (I was driving fairly slowly at that point), and my face whacked right into the steering wheel. My glasses went flying off over into the passenger side of the car, after gouging a chunk out of my nose. For a minute I just sat there, shaking, while my nose was bleeding all over my new coat that I'd just bought. I'd never been in a car accident before and was unable to think of what to do next. I will forever be grateful to the man who came running over to my car, helped me shut it off and climb out the passenger side, and got me a wad of napkins for my bleeding nose. He left as soon as the police showed up, and I never found out his name or anything about him. 

As far as accidents go, this one was really not that bad. After they towed my car, I called my sister-in-law and she took me to the emergency room. A CT scan revealed that my nose was cracked horizontally right along the top, which meant that it wasn't displaced and I wouldn't suffer any long-term consequences once it healed. I also got a few stitches in my nose, and spent the next few weeks watching my face turn various interesting colors until everything healed up. Although it took some time to work everything out, between my insurance and that from the other driver, my medical bills got paid, my car was paid for, and I even got a bit of extra money for 'pain and suffering'. 

Before the accident I had already been thinking of replacing my car. There wasn't anything seriously wrong with it, but it was nearly ten years old and I wanted something with more upgrades. On the other hand, I really loved my particular car, and they don't make it anymore. It was a crossover, which meant it drove like a car and was small like a car, but still roomy and versatile on the inside. More than once I comfortably fit seven people in it, or filled it up with cargo. I'm not a big person, and the size of the car worked well for me and my family. I was both sad to see it go, and excited to get something new. 

Unfortunately, when you work full-time and you are without a car, you do not get a lot of time to shop around for something good that fits the budget. I decided to go with an SUV from the same car company, that also had three rows of seats inside it. After looking around online, I found one for sale within by price range--and it was currently available at a dealership close to my house. It was a 2013, but had low mileage and was very clean (well, mostly, as we found out when the kids pulled down the armrest in the backseat and found a nasty-smelling mess inside). I made a quick decision to buy it, and at first was very happy with it's fancy details like heated seats and back-up camera. 

However, after driving it for the last ten months, I just don't love it. It's a big SUV and drives like one, with means it is boxy and bumpy. Despite several attempts at cleaning it, there is still a bit of lingering weird smell, especially when the weather is damp. The thing is, I loved my old car because I felt like it fit me so well. I don't love this car very much and it just feels generic. I just don't think I'm an SUV person, but I'm not sure what I want instead. I also feel weird getting a new car after having this one for less than a year. The one thing I do know is that I don't ever want to get a new car after getting in a car accident ever again. That particular experience is something I just want to go through once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals