Reading Roundup: September 2018

Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou

This book was much more exciting than I expected it to be; it was fascinating to see how people could be so deluded, and I kept reading just to see how it would all play out. The author does an excellent job of describing technical information in an understandable way, as well as pacing things in a way that keeps the suspense up despite the complexity of the story.

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

There is a lot going on this book, including family drama, a mystery, and a romance. However, it all came together well in the end. I could see one of the big twists coming much earlier than any of the characters did, but otherwise I really enjoyed this book.

American Fork by George Handley

Reading this book was an interesting experience, because it is set in the somewhat recent past, and the main character and her husband are the same ages I was in 2001 as well. I was also a newlywed living in Provo at that time, but I've never been to Chile and I am not an art student. The book is long and dense, and there is a lot here to think about in regards to family, relationships, religion, and the environment. There were a few little editing things that bothered me, but otherwise this was a wonderful book.

Bellewether by Susanna Kearsley

Every other book I've read by Kearsley has been set in Europe, and I think that this is her first set in the United States. In this book, I liked the balance between the modern story and the historical one, although I felt that the resolution in the present day was just a bit too neat and not quite set up well in the rest of the story. 

The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye

For our book club this month we decided to read books published in the year we were born, plus I needed to read a bestseller from the 1970s for a reading challenge. This book is really long, but I've read long books before and thought I could handle it. It actually took me several weeks, reading off and on, because this book is rather dense and slow. However, it was still quite good and I loved the characters as well as the story.

 Movies

Under the Greenwood Tree

This was a nice adaptation of the book, although they did change some things about the plot. I loved the use of music, particularly, and I liked all the actors as well.

2001 A Space Odyssey 

I've never actually watched this whole movie, so when there was a special showing at the library I decided to attend. It starts slowly and is not an easy film to watch, but there were parts that were amazingly beautiful too. I'm glad I watched it, if nothing else for my own cultural literacy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear