Reading Roundup: September 2016

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

Although the beginning of this book was a bit slow, once the various parts of the story started coming together and the narrative picked up a bit, I really enjoyed it. It was a great conclusion to the trilogy and, as always, I was very impressed with Sanderson's skill in worldbuilding.

Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

This book was not what I expected it to be--I thought it would be a quick thriller that I wouldn't remember after a few weeks. Instead, it surprised me with how well-written it was, and with its focus on characters rather than on just getting through the plot. There was a central mystery, but by the time it was resolved, it didn't feel as important as getting to know all the various characters had been. 

Clever Girl by Tessa Hadley

This was the first book I've read by Tessa Hadley, and it will probably be the only one. There were many moments where here writing was beautiful, and there was strong characterization as well. However, the plot lacked forward movement and conflict, and ultimately I felt like the book was just too slow to hold my interest. 

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

I read this book back in high school and had forgotten most of it. It was our book club pick for the month, and I'm glad it was because I thoroughly enjoyed it. My only impression from reading it twenty years ago was that it was somewhat slow and boring, but instead I found it to be witty and engaging. I'm glad I revisited this book--maybe I should try a few other books from my past to see how they feel now.

We are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler

This book pleasantly surprised me because it was much better than I expected. The premise didn't interest me that much and I didn't have plans to read it until I somehow ended up with recommendations from several different sources. It was both funnier and more touching than I expected it to be, and I'm still thinking about it more than a month later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals