8 Minute Memoir: I remember when

Several people I know have been following the Eight Minute Memoir prompts that Ann Dee Ellis has been posting on her blog.I'm more than a year behind, but I don't care, so I'm going to try it anyway to see if I can get back into writing and blogging. Instead of starting with the current prompt, I'm going to go back to the beginning. 

I remember when gas still cost 99 cents a gallon, and it seemed incredible when the price started creeping up higher than a dollar. I also remember when we lived in Seattle in 2008 and gas prices were crazy high, and we once passed a gas station that was selling it for over $5.00 a gallon, and I thought that was outrageous so I took a picture. I used to worry a lot about gas prices, but now I don't go anywhere besides work, the library, and a few stores, so I only fill up my car about once every three weeks and gas is a small part of my budget.

I remember when the kids were little and they work up early and I could put them to bed early. I was also home all day with them, and the days seemed really long. Filling up all the hours besides nap time and meal times seemed like an impossible task. Now I'm at work all day and they are at school and other activities and it feels like there is never enough time for anything.

I remember when I had a tight circle of blog friends and we spent a lot of time writing posts, and reading and commenting on each other's blogs. I remember before that when I didn't have a smart phone or any social media accounts, and I didn't know what most of my friends were doing on a regular basis. I remember the time before that when the internet and email were new, and emails were long and full of details about each other's lives and various other important business. And before that, when I moved across the country before my senior year of high school, I spent a lot of time writing letters to my friends. I spent quite a bit of money on cool stationery, fancy pens, and stickers. So many stickers--it was very important to cover the envelope with the right kinds of stickers to convey your love and friendship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals