Reading Roundup: July 2019

I'll Never Tell by Catherine McKenzie

I usually like McKenzie's books, but this one just didn't quite work for me. The characters were all stereotypes, and most of their actions were not very understandable. They did not change or develop throughout the book either, and I was able to figure out the central mystery pretty early on.

Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown

This is another book where I was able to figure things out early on (sometimes I wonder why characters seem to have never read or watched any mysteries), but I still enjoyed it. It's just as much about the central mystery as it is about a family learning to move on and grow through grief.

Say Nothing: a True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe

I discovered that it's possible to experience a 'book hangover' after reading nonfiction because I spent at least a day after finishing this book wishing I could read more. The book was a bit slow to start, but after spending a few chapters orienting myself to all the characters and the setting, I couldn't put it down. Although I knew a little bit about the Troubles in Northern Ireland, I discovered that there was a lot I did not know. Keefe is a skilled writer and does an admirable job describing a complex story that takes place over a number of years and involving a large number of people.

Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane

For better or worse, this is a character-driven book, so if you like books like that you will love it. The plot isn't the strongest part of the book, but I still found it to be a compelling read and I had a hard time putting it down.

I Gave Her a Name by Rachel Hunt Steenblik

I loved Rachel's first book of poems so much, and although this wasn't as fresh and surprising to me, it was a wonderful follow-up and just as good. I love how her short poems capture so much in just a few words, and I still love the interplay between the poems and the accompanying notes that enhance the reading experience.

The Unwinding of the Miracle by Julie Yip-Williams

It took me until halfway through this book to realize that it was compiled from blog entries that the author had published during her illness. This fact explained several little things that had been bothering me, and I really liked the book. She had a fascinating life and was able to write about it well.

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

I've heard about this book for years and finally got around to reading it since our book club theme for the month was adaptations. Based on some reviews I've read, it's probably better that I haven't read The Iliad and didn't already have opinions about the characters. I loved both the characterization of Patroclus and the gorgeous writing.

False Step by Victoria Helen Stone

This was a free Kindle book for the month, and I like thrillers so I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately, it wasn't great. The main character's behavior was inconsistent and never really changed throughout the book, so it was hard to sympathize with her or root for her.

Throw Me to the Wolves by Patrick McGuiness

I'd never heard of this book before I saw it on the 'new book' display at the library, but I really liked it. It's a mystery book, but the mystery really isn't the central story. As the book goes on, what you think is backstory is actually the main plot. I thought the writing was excellent and I wanted to read more when it was done. 

Movies

Toy Story 4

I didn't have high expectations for this movie, and thankfully I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the trilogy was just fine the way it was and that this movie didn't need to be made. However, it was much better than I thought it would be and a great way to spend a few hours.

Music and Lyrics

I'd never seen this movie before and it seemed like a nice little diversion at the end of the day. It's biggest strength is in its acting, since both Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore are excellent and can do a lot with flimsy material. The plot, however, is awfully thin and feels a bit too condescending to Barrymore's character for my taste.

When They See Us 

I don't know what I could say about this miniseries that hasn't been said in a much more elegant way by other people. Everyone should see it, and those who are in charge of our justice system should watch it multiple times. The last episode is particularly devastating. It's sad and harsh, but beautifully made and tells important truths that many of us have the luxury of ignoring in our lives.

Missing Link

I'd never heard of this movie until the kids spotted it at the library and wanted to bring it home. The plot was nothing special, but the animation was amazing. 

The Lion King 

The kids and I debated seeing this since we feared it wouldn't be any good. However, the matinee price at the neighborhood theater combined with a hot holiday afternoon to tip the scales. Just as we expected, it was fairly disappointing. The pace feels slower than the original and the characters just don't have the same sense of life and personality as in the original. I'd much rather watch the animated version or the Broadway show.

Clueless

I thought it was time to introduce S-Boogie to this movie, which is one of my favorites. I was delighted to find that it holds up well and is still hilarious twenty-five years and fifteen viewings later. 

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

I don't think I've seen this movie since watching it in the theater back when it came out. It was better than I remembered, and the kids really enjoyed it. The special effects haven't always held up well, but it's still a lot of fun. 

A Separation

I've heard about this movie for years but never got around to watching it. This movie seems to be what the director of Crash was trying to do, only a thousand times better. Sometimes it felt a bit uncomfortable to watch, both because of the actions of the characters and because I apparently know very little about contemporary Iran. However, even if you don't know a lot about Iranian culture, the movie still has a lot to say about how people relate to each other and the inescapable nature of the interlocking relationships we have with the people around us.

The Magnificent Ambersons

I'd never managed to see this movie so I was excited when it was added to Netflix. The strength of the movie is in the acting, which is excellent across the board. I know there were some issues with the editing of the movie, and it does end up in a plot that is sometimes confusing. It is still a movie worth watching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals