Reading Roundup: 2019 Whitney Finalists

This year I decided to put all my reviews of Whitney finalists in one post. This year I read books from the General/Historical category and the Historical Romance category.

Whatever it Takes by Jessica Pack

My biggest issue with this book is the fact that it centers on a protagonist who is so closed off and defensive that it is hard as a reader to want to root for her and sympathize with her. The writing, however, is solid and the pacing is good. Pack (a pseudonym of Josi Kilpack) is an experienced writer and it clearly shows, even though this book wasn't my favorite.

Deborah: Prophetess of God by H.B. Moore

The Biblical story of Deborah is one that I'm not very familiar with, but I liked Moore's depiction of her as a strong and spiritual woman. Moore's books are always rich in detail about the lives of women during Biblical times and I feel like I learned a lot from this one.

The Book of Abish by Mette Harrison

I have to admit that I had low expectations for this book after my experience reading The Book of Laman, so I was pleasantly surprised by it. This book read much more smoothly--the plot and characters were better constructed and it had undergone better editing. Abish is a complex character and I enjoyed Harrison's interpretation of her story. 

Muddy: Where Faith and Polygamy Collide by Dean Hughes

I've always liked Hughes' writing--he does a good job of creating empathetic, believable characters in solid historical settings. He is not a flashy writer, but his books make for great reading. In this book he tackles a difficult time period in Church history without simplifying or sugar-coating things too much. I look forward to reading the sequel.

The Girl in Gray by Annette Lyon

This book had a lot of potential, but didn't quite work for me. I liked reading a book set in Finland during the Second World War and the setting written in a vivid way that made it easy to imagine. Lyon does a good job with world-building in a way that conveys a lot of information in an unobtrusive way. Unfortunately the pacing of the plot was uneven and some of the characters were not written consistently.

What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon

This book involves time travel, so I think you just have to accept that and not nitpick too many of the details if you're going to enjoy reading it. That being said, I really did enjoy the book. Harmon does a great job of balancing the love story with the world-building, and by the end of the book I was a bit in love with Thomas as well. 

Suffering the Scot by Nichole Van

Van's books are always so much fun to read, and this book is no exception. I did spend some of the time cringing because the 'act annoying on purpose to tease someone' trope is not my favorite, but the main characters eventually won me over. The pacing was also a bit slow and it took a while for the plot to really get going--there was a lot going on and a number of different characters to keep track of. However, once I reached halfway through the book, things picked up and I couldn't put it down until I finished it.

Miss Adeline's Match by Joanna Barker

This book wasn't my favorite. The story is told in first-person from Addie's point of view, which unfortunately makes it hard to sympathize with her. Characterization is reduced to her 'telling' readers about herself, and too often the things she say about herself contradict her actions. She says she's a good friend, but doesn't act like one. The ending is rushed and the conflicts resolve themselves too quickly. This book had potential, but it really needed to be longer and more complex.

A Song for the Stars by Ilima Todd

I love Hawaii, and this book made me feel like I was back there again. The descriptions of the landscape, people, and language were excellent. Maile and John were both complex and interesting characters, and it was fun to watch them learn about each other's cultures while they fell in love. This was a great little romance and a fun choice if you're looking for a historical book that's not set in Regency England.

The Paradox of Love by Teri Harman

I had mixed feelings about this book, I'm sure at least in part because the tone is uneven. There's a sweet romance, some really awful violence, and a bit of magical realism thrown in as well. I wasn't ever quite sure where the story was going, and a few of the side stories were left hanging. I did like the main character and her love interest and found their story to be compelling, but the book itself could have been better written. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals