Another post about poop

I'm sorry--I swear I'll find a new topic for my next post. This morning S-Boogie's diaper was full of unpopped popcorn kernels. That scared me. Those are the kind of thing that toddlers should not be allowed to eat because they can choke on them and die. A few nights ago I went to bed and thoughtlessly left an almost empty bag of microwave popcorn on the counter. S-Boogie's gotten into the habit of waking up early and roaming the house, using her handy potty/stepstool to get into things she shouldn't. (A few weeks ago I found a giant handprint in the middle of a chocolate cake I'd left out to cool. She told us "I find chocolate".) I've been trying to remember to put everything in the kitchen away before I go to bed, but sometimes I don't. We've talked about locking her into her room somehow, but we both feel bad about doing that. The house is generally childproof, but I keep finding out new things that she can do. Even though I want to leave the potty out for her to get used to, and she needs it to reach the sink in order to brush her teeth, I think it's time to banish it to a high place out of reach. Now I just have to hope she doesn't figure out that she can stand on a chair to get into things....

Comments

Christian said…
Ooh . . . she's a wily one. Maybe I don't want kids after all. But then again, if they're as cute as she is . . .
Earth Sign Mama said…
I have actual life-laboratory proof that children/toddlers come to no harm by consuming the following:
*dog food
*cat food
*dog poop
*dead flies/bugs
*live snails
*toothpaste(lots and lots of it)
*wild mushrooms, providing this is followed by copious amounts of Ipecac and a visit to the emergency room...
*the steel balls from a Labyrinth game
*crayons
*fish food
*bird food
Oh, gosh, it would take too long to make a complete list...But the fact remains that even very vigilant parents cannot keep every awful thing from happening. But, locking her into her room isn't too bad of an idea. I used to lay on the bedroom floor, blocking the closed door with my body, to have a nap, so that the toddler could be up and playing w/o the ability to escape and find life-endangering substances. Yes, I could sleep like that. But if the kid tried to climb over me to try and open the door, I'd awaken.
Cricket said…
first a story:

When Miss R was small, she never choked on anything. Therefore, she ate everything! One day upon picking her up at the sitter's, the sitter greeted me with "Perfect Timing! there's something white in her diaper and I can't figure out what it is"
Me: "Oh, she ate a sticker at the store yesterday"
Sitter: "no, I already saw that, this is something else"

It turned out to be a little wooden hole cover. Ya know the kind they use to plug screw holes on furniture that pop out a little? yeah, she ate it off her rocking chair.

Now an idea- a friend of mine just told me that they use this on the inside of their 2yr old's door.
It keeps her in, but they can open it easily from the outside.
Desmama said…
Mandi--that's exactly what we use! Those doorknob covers work well when one must learn that naptime is naptime (same for bedtime). She got moved into a toddler bed just about a month ago and loved visiting us in the middle of the night. She learned pretty quickly that didn't work for us and I think I can take the cover off now. But I can understand wanting to take a kindler, gentler route. ;) (She has mean parents, what can I say?)
Th. said…
.

The Big O's toilet seat comes off, rendering it useless as a stool. Could you do that? You could always put it back on when needed.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals