Since no one else is going to read it...

I just sent a letter to the editor to the Daily Universe; I have a bad history of trying to get stuff printed by them. They never want to publish my letters, so I'm not banking on this one getting in there at all. But, I just wanted to get my opinion out, so I might as well put it here. If you want to read the editorial I'm responding to, it's here.

Friday's editorial praising Larry Miller's decision to pull the movie Brokeback Mountain from his theater certainly made a good point: it is always commendable when people stand up for what they believe in. However, what bothers me most about all the hoopla surrounding this decision is the fact that it simply reflects the hodgepodge morality that too many of us (myself included) practice. Why suddenly decide that this particular film was so reprehensible that it must not only be pulled from the theater, but that the decision to pull it be made into a public spectacle? What about all the other immoral movies currently showing at Larry Miller's theater? Things like Hostel, which glorifies graphic violence, Cassanova which turns fornication into art, and The Ringer, which makes fun of the mentally handicapped? Or Fun With Dick and Jane, which makes criminal behavior funny, or even The Family Stone, whose poster features an obscene gesture? All of these movies are currently showing at Larry Miller's theater, and I wonder how many people would applaud if he pulled them. If we are going to take a stand against immorality, we should take a stand against all immorality, not just those particular sins that are the scapegoats d'jour.

Comments

Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
My thoughts exactly.
Christian said…
Just further evidence in support of TB's claim.
Tolkien Boy said…
I think I love you.

No, wait. I don't think. I only do. But in a way that won't make your husband angry.
Cricket said…
AMEN, SISTA!!

I hope it gets published!!
TK said…
Clue me in here. It says 'he pulled it'. Does that mean he started to show it, but then stopped (as in, people complained)? Or does that mean he chose not to show it in the first place, which is a whole different story.

In the former case he's only reacting; in the latter, he's chosing to act (for whatever reason) and therefore the editorial has merit. In the former case, I don't see how that means he's standing up for anything, other than trying to please the public who complained. In that case, if the public actually complained about the other movies which you noted, maybe he would pull them too - which I guess leads to your point (which you did a good job of representing in your letter) Let us know if they publish it.
Christian said…
By "pulled it," what happened was that it was scheduled to show. The ads had been placed in the paper. Someone advised him of the theme of the movie about four hours before the first showing. He cancelled his showings about two hours before the show. And people didn't find out until they got to the theater and saw a sign on the window.
TK said…
Aah! Thanks, Edgy. That explains why people might be upset!
Matt Haws said…
Thank you so much for writing that. It makes so much sense and is such a good point that it may be ignored by the Daily Universe, but it makes me warm and fuzzy to know that you tried anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear