Beating a dead horse

Recently, several other bloggers have sparked a discussion about Mormon literature (ie, books written by, for, or about Mormons) and whether it's "good" or "bad". Many people who have weighed in on the discussion have admitted to being literary snobs who have a very negative view of this genre. The truth is, I am a literary snob and have been for a long time. But, I'm getting to be less of one and thought I'd add some of my thoughts to the conversation.

I think my journey out of snobishness actually began shortly after Master Fob and I got married. I convinced him to take a Young Adult literature class with me, and we luckily (or predestinately) got a class with Chris Crowe. I still don't really remember why I decided to take YA lit. During my teenage years, I read some YA lit, but mostly historical fiction. I shunned most things that were more contemporary, anything "boyish", and anything fantasy. But, this class really opened my eyes and got me reading lots of different things. And I discovered that I actually liked most of that stuff that I had shunned before. Now I do sometimes read contemporary stuff, and books about boys and sports and I even read fantasy (I did Lord of the Rings last summer).

So, the next semester Master Fob took a class on Mormon literature. I was unable to take the class, but participated vicariously through him. We also got involved with
AML and started reading things like Irreantum and Dialogue. Consequently, I discovered a whole new world of writers that I had never heard of before, many of whom were quite good. (Many of whom were quite crappy, I must also add). Before this point in my life, I don't remember much exposure to Mormon ficition. I do remember enjoying many of the short stories that used to be published in the New Era, before the church magazines decided that fiction was evil. My mom actually won their annual creative writing contest, back in 1973. Someone lent me a book by Anita Stansfield during my freshman year, and I mainly remember thinking "what the hell is this?" while I was reading it. But, since then, I 've discovered quite a few other really, really good books.

The thing that I've realized, is that all genres have crappy books and good books. And everyone's definition of what makes a book "good" differs. In my opinion, about 90% of books out there are crap, no matter what the genre. So it doesn't make sense to me to throw out everything in one particular category because most of it is crap. Also, "Mormon" literature is really only about 100 years old, at most. And the more modern stuff is really only a 30-40 year old phenomenon. There's still lots and lots of time for things to get better. And if no one reads any of the good stuff, it won't stick around and all we'll be left with is Gerald Lund and Anita Stansfield. (Of course, the whole publishing and marketing thing needs major work too, but hopefully at some point that will change). My only other complaint about the genre is that it's still focused primarily on the Intermountain West. Most of it is just as much "Utah" literature as it is "Mormon". I can sort of deal with that, because even though I didn't grow up here, my family is "pioneer stock". But still, many members of the church can't really relate to what's being written, so we need to expand our topics a little more.


Whew! OK, now I will post some of my personally recommeded books and authors. And, I would highly recommend checking out Dialogue and Irreantum if you want to know more about Mormon literature. That's where I've found out a lot about these books. And both magazines (journals?) are full of poetry, essay, and short story. It's a good way to start testing the waters. If you're up to it, here are a few of my recommended picks:

Anything by Virginia Sorensen:

Where Nothing is Long Ago
This one is actually a collection of autobiographical essays about her childhood in a small Mormon town during the early 1900s. They are beautifully written; I think "First Love" is one of my favorite pieces of short writing ever.
A Little Lower than the Angels
I like to think of this as the "Anti Work and the Glory". It's about a family that moves to Nauvoo and then the dad gets commanded to take on a second wife. Very different treatment of early Church history than we usually get, but very subtle and not purely "anti" at all.

Heresies of Nature by Margaret Blair Young
Mom gets Multiple Sclerosis, the family prays, and everything is wonderful. Um, not. This is another very realistic, complicated novel about the effects of severe trials on a family. Well written and true to life.

Falling Toward Heaven by John Bennion
A missionary jumps off the bandwagon on the day he's supposed to be coming home. An interesting novel about leaving and coming back to the Church (more or less).

Vernal Promises by Jack Harrell
This one needs a better cover, but it's still a very good book. Another one about dealing with trials and finding your way.

Um, I just noticed that most of the books I listed are kind of about the same thing. But they're all really good, I swear. Here are a few more:

Edgy has already listed quite a few other authors that are definitely worth checking out. There are several YA authors that write for a national audience but whose work is obviously influenced by being Mormon. Among them I recommend Louise Plummer (A Dance for Three), Kristen Randle (Slumming) and Kimberly Heuston (The Shakeress).

Also, a plug has already been made for Dean Hughes, but his books are great. If you like historical fiction (and even if you don't), you've got to read the Children of the Promise Series and the Hearts of the Children. They are both excellent.

Another more light-hearted book is Angel of the Danube. If you served a mission in Europe you will particularly like this book, but I think anyone could get into it. It manages to be both funny and serious and do both things quite well. And it's refreshing to read a missionary book where the Elders admit that sometimes they'd rather go play pinball than prosylyte (plus they don't get struck by lightning for doing so).

Um, so there you have it. Many of the best books I've found within a genre that 5 years ago I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. "Try them, try them, Sam-I-Am. You may like green eggs and ham."

Comments

AmyJane said…
I love you for beating the horse so eloquently. I've recently decided that it's bad form to reject anything too strongly. It just seems presumptuous--"I hate all mormon fiction. You know, since I refuse to read any of it, I would know." Trust me--I used to say the same thing and then my sweet grandpa gently laid into me about it and made me read The Children Of The Promise. Had to eat lots of crow on that one.... I
TK said…
I appreciated your list of suggestions and will check some of them out.

I can't help but wonder, though, why you don't seem to be impressed with Lund. Although I loved Hugh's Children of the Promise almost as much as Work and the Glory, Lund is still my favorite. I liked Lund's Kingdom and the Crown even more.

Do you really feel Lund's not that good of a writer, or is it just that you personally don't like his style? Educate me here. I do realize that Lund's characters exhibit more idealism, whereas Hughes leans more towards realistic, but I think both styles serve a purpose.
TK said…
I just reread my comment after I published it, and am not so sure my comment regarding which author is more realistic, is true - I keep trying to think back, since it's been awhile since I read Children, but recently read Work for the 2nd time. I can think of examples from both where they are very idealistic, and also of where they are both very realistic.
Christian said…
Lest I insert my foot in my mouth again, I will definitely side with Foxy on the Lund v. Hughes debate. The essential difference between Lund and Hughes is that Lund is telling you Church history, and oh, by the way, there are characters involved. Hughes is actually telling a story, and oh, by the way, there's history involved. As I've made mention elsewhere, Lund could have been better had he had a decent editor who kept his series down to six books, as it ought to have been, instead of letting it ramble on for nine. Also, a good editor wouldn't have let every character do everything in two giant steps. And an editor wouldn't have let him repeat scenes every sixty pages--we read it the first time, we're not so stupid to have forgotten it sixty pages later.

But that's just my take.
Melyngoch said…
whinf I get published can I be on your list?
TK said…
Well put, Edgy. I didn't clearly see that until you pointed it out. However, I think that also explains one of the reasons I like Lund - through his characters, he does an excellent job of explaining gospel principles without making you feel like you're reading a church lesson Manual.
FoxyJ said…
Any of my friends who get published automatically get on my list :)
Th. said…
.

I'm still gasping that you've read Lord of the Rings. Can we blame this on Tolkien Boy?

Also, I wanted to finally say that I don't think of Mormon fiction as a "genre." Science fiction is a genre. YA fiction is not a genre. To me, "Mormon" is an element, not a genre any more than "American" is a genre.
Th. said…
.

Btb, Edgy's explanation is both the reason some people like Lund and others don't. My mother gave Lady Steed Fishers of Men and I realized I've been snobby about its place on our shelf so I almost started reading it.

I started OSC's Sarah instead.
Th. said…
.

One more comment:

When I was a teenager, I liked Lund's pre-W&G novels (eg, The Alliance). I wonder if I still would? After all, they don't commit the sin of educating the reader....

But then, to be frank, I've never read W&G or anything since it, so how would I know I wouldn't like them?

(Claim to fame: Gerald Lund, before becoming a Seventy, was my Stake President at BYU.)

postscript: I just remembered I did not like his Constitutional crisis/alternate history book.
TK said…
TH: Yes, I've read 3 or 4 of Lund's pre-W&G novels, and liked them too. As I recall, at least one of them was pretty imaginative.

And try pick up Fishers of Men! It's excellent! (You can always put it down if you don't like it!)
TK said…
OOPs. Sorry. I meant

'th.:'

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals