Birthday Blessings


This is the tower of goodies that my sister sent me (well, ordered for me--they don't have this in Morocco). S-Boogie and I were both impressed by the cute little boxes, and I was happy to open them and find yummy treats like fresh pears, cheese, mixed nuts, chocolates, and dark chocolate-glazed caramel popcorn. Yum!

I've been receiving lots of fun packages, cards, and letters this week. My mom sent me a nice temple dress and I was able to use it yesterday when I went to a session. I got a cool new cookbook from Ambrosia and some fun books from Master Fob. He also made me a nice dinner on Wednesday night; S-Boogie got me a bag of "goodie worms" (another fun malapropism from her). If by now you are feeling sad because you didn't get me a tangible gift, don't worry. I don't love you any less. The massive amount of comments I received the other day really warmed my heart. It truly is nice to have so many friends, many of whom are people I've never met in person. I hope that I can be as good a friend to you as you all are to me.

Today I decided to go to the mall and get myself a birthday present from my parents. Master Fob also gave me a gift card for Eddie Bauer, so I decided to make today my own little "extreme makeover day". After my day at the mall I ended up with three pairs of pants (one black, one khaki, one dark brown), a black skirt, a plaid linen skirt, two tops, and two pairs of shoes. The best part about the trip was that everything I got was on sale; I am a super shopper! Now I feel like I have a decent wardrobe of comfortable, work-appropriate clothes. If only I had a job to go with them...

The other thing I did at the mall was get a haircut. Before I got to the mall I had decided to splurge and spend some birthday cash on a nice haircut from a real salon. Then I chickened out and went to MasterCuts like I usually do. I think that was a bad idea. In the first place, I had to wait for a really long time and that put me in a crabby mood. Then, I ended up with the weird guy. He was very strange and kept muttering to himself. Then he confiscated my glasses and wouldn't give them back. After I explained what I wanted and even pointed to a picture, he still seemed unsure of what I was asking for. I also got scared after he spent a very long time on the back of my head, snipping and snipping for what seemed like forever. The front looks great, but then I turned to see the back and realized that I basically have no hair left back there. Usually I like a blunt cut with a bit of layering for fullness. He extended the layers all the way up my head and I look like a boy from the back. Yuck. Hopefully it will grow back quickly and not to strangely. At least I have some hot new clothes to make up for my scary hair.

Comments

Lisa said…
That sounds so fun...new clothes and a new haircut. I've been wanting a complete makeover lately. I am sick of my "pony tail" hairstyle, boring makeup and "jeans and big t-shirt" wardrobe (or clothes that don't fit). I am so out of fashion and wouldn't even know how to pick out clothes. Wow, am I complaining?
Desmama said…
I am so glad you had a good birthday. That present alone looks so lovely I'm not sure I would've wanted to unwrap it. Sorry about the haircut. My sister in D.C. speaks in hushed tones about a haircut gone horribly awry. "It was the closest thing I've ever had to a mullet," she tells me.
The Weed said…
Lolly once got a haircut at a place like that from a Chinese man who did an absolutely horrific job. She's since then referred to that tragic day as "The Chinese Massacre." Yeah… it was that bad, at least according to her. (I never saw it, because I was on my mission.)

Glad you treated yourself to some nice stuff.
TK said…
How fun to go shopping! How about a pic of you modeling your new clothes with your new 'do'!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals