I'm a Squeaky Wheel

I just got a phone call from a very nice lady in human resources at the college that didn't want interview me. I sent them an email the other day requesting some feedback about my application. I thought it was funny because one of the first things she said was, "I'm LDS too, just so you know". She told me that they had received a number of very qualified applicants, but that I had ended up in the second tier because I have not quite graduated yet (my official date is August 2007; I've been putting that on my resume because I want to be honest) and because I didn't have as much teaching experience, especially local teaching experience. She also told me (I didn't ask) that of the candidates chosen for interview, half were native speakers and half were not, so that doesn't play into things. That made me feel a little better, because I've seen one or two private language schools that specifically want native speakers.

I also thought it was funny because she advised me to tone down my church references a bit. This is hard because all of my job experience is from BYU, both my degrees are from BYU, and my foreign language/overseas experience is from serving a mission. I know this will eventually not be the case, but unfortunately right now my applications and resume have BYU and Provo, UT all over them. I might as well title my resume "I'm a MORMON"! I have my mission on my resume just because otherwise I have a giant hole where there are 2 years with no work or anything. I've thought about eliminating the two jobs from before my mission, since they were almost 10 years ago, but they were good experience and without them I only have 3 other jobs, one of which was my teaching position. Sigh.

So, based on her advice, I'm registering in the applicant pool for part-time or adjunct positions at some of the community colleges around here. I hadn't done that before because they offer no benefits and are usually a semester-by-semester contract. That seemed unreliable to me and I want something I can count on. But, if I am serious about teaching as a career that's probably the best move. It would give me experience and get me some sort of local job, which is also a plus. Now the question is whether I should switch my job search to part-time positions and hope for a teaching gig to supplement it or whether I should keep looking for full-time and only worry about it when a teaching position comes up. It's the beginning of the summer, so I probably won't get anything until the fall if I do. Hmmm, decisions are tough!

Comments

Frozen Okie said…
have you looked into requirements for long term sub positions at the high school level? In some school districts long term subs get benefits. You could possibly do that and teach at a community college at the same time
AmyJane said…
Hmmm. Interesting. Sean and I argued forever about whether missions belong on resumes but he finally saw my (and your) way of thinking with regards to the two year gap in employment. Just out of curiosity, are you finding people who want to know what you've been doing during the mom years, or were you always working some? I keep hearing about mom's who head back to work for whatever reason and get blacklisted for "holes" in thier resumes while they were SAHM's.
The whole no having benefits would freak me out, since I was made aware recently of just how much a decent health care plan can cost out of pocket. Good luck with all these huge choices. I'm sure you'll make all the right ones.
Kengo Biddles said…
I hope things pan out for you. It's been a rough road, and you deserve a break.
Kristeee said…
That's really rough - maybe if she weren't LDS she wouldn't be so sensitive to all of the BYU/church/mission references. I think that, for the most part, we're more sensitive about people appearing overly churchy than most.

Good luck - your number has to be up for a good outpouring of blessings, right?

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals