Home (for good)

We got home from Hawaii late Monday night. During our entire flight my throat ached and my nose ran. Then I slept fitfully and woke up with full-blown flu on Tuesday. I spent all day Tuesday and Wednesday lost in fever delirium. By Thursday I started to feel better, although my head felt like it was packed with glue and I couldn't hear out of one ear.

Since we hadn't already spent enough time away from home over the last month, we packed up our stuff again for a whirlwind trip to Oregon. It was my sister's birthday on Saturday; she just moved to Portland, so we wanted to see her and make sure she wasn't alone for her birthday. I'm not sure that being squished in our backseat with screaming children is an ideal birthday present, but we really did have a good time. We went to Cannon Beach on Friday night. It was unbelievably beautiful. Mr. Fob and I decided that we need to come back and stay in the oceanfront suite with in-room jacuzzi (as opposed to the parking lot-front suite with in-room small children). Friday night we witnessed Mr. Fob's brother's beach wedding (very nice) and then stayed up late eating junk food and playing rummy after the kids went to bed. Saturday we checked out the tide pools, ate pastries for breakfast, visited the Tillamook cheese factory, and drove back to Portland. That night we stayed over with some old friends that we haven't seen for several years. Their house was perfect; they have a big backyard and S-Boogie got along great with their kids. The grownups stayed up late eating apple crisp and talking. Heavenly.

Our drive home was not so heavenly. Just think about heavy rain, heavy traffic, and a whining, cranky four-year-old who wants to eat all your saltwater taffy. Fun.

So, now we're back for good and won't be going anywhere else until December (maybe). I start teaching on Wednesday night (cue panic), S-Boogie starts her new school a week from tomorrow, and Mr. Fob starts school again a week from Wednesday. I enjoyed all this vacationing, but I'm looking forward to settling back into our home again.

Comments

Lindsay said…
I love, Love, LOVE the Oregon Coast. We used to vacation there all during my growing up years, and our favorite place to visit was the Tillamook Cheese Factory. They have the best ice cream and cheese samples.

Glad you're home (I'm sure you are, too...vacations are nice, but it's just as nice to come home, I think).
Kristeee said…
You guys have had quite the eventful summer! It has to be nice to be home and settle back into a routine and just be yourselves. And sleep in your own beds - that's one of the best parts of coming home, I think.

Someday I'll make it to the Oregon coast - I've heard so much about it and it sounds so nice. My mom honeymooned there last year, though, and brought us back some Tillamook Cheese, so I'm not completely in the dark...
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
I am so very, very sorry that you were sick on your plane trip. That sucks more than anyone who hasn't experienced could possibly imagine.

I can't wait to hear about your teaching experiences!
South or North of Portland? Cheesefactory and tidepools sounds like a pretty fun day trip. Florence is also beautiful if you ever make it farther south.

Plantboy and I started falling in love with the Northwest when we honeymooned on the San Juans over eight years ago. Now that we are living here, I hope that our tenth anniversary will be a repeat.
Earth Sign Mama said…
Tidepools AND cheese factory??? Good Grief: it's HEAVEN. I must go there.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals