Our Trip So Far

We finally got a wireless connection that seems to be working, so I'll give you a quick rundown of our trip so far. I've learned that it's very hot in Hawaii in August, and I've remembered that the traffic in Honolulu is terrible, especially when you have two tired screaming children in the backseat of the car. I've also come to suspect that my children are vampires, because their skin glows white in the tropical sun. I guess we should stay in Washington.

Thursday: We discovered why people call them "Northworst" airlines when we found out that you have to pay for any snacks (you don't even get free peanuts) and they didn't have enough pillows to give one to our tired S-Boogie. She actually did well and fell asleep for the last two hours of the flight. She stayed asleep through getting off the plane, waiting for the rental car, getting out at Tutu's (grandma's) house, and getting in bed. Little Dude stayed awake and got wilder and wilder. I'm not looking forward to the flight home.

Friday: We woke up early and went to our favorite beach (it's close to Tutu's house). Then we stopped by Safeway for groceries and spent the afternoon taking naps. We had dinner at Mr. Fob's sister's house that night.

Saturday: Beach in the morning again. This time we went with Mr. Fob's sister and her family, as well as her sister-in-law and nephews who are visiting. We stayed extra time because the kids were having so much fun, but forgot to put extra sunscreen on. The kids ended up being OK, but Mr. Fob burned his feet pretty badly and I burned my back. That night we watched the movie Hitch with Mr. Fob's mom. It was pretty funny and I enjoyed it.

Sunday: We went up to Mililani to go to church with Mr. Fob's sister and her family. Little Dude managed to sleep through most of sacrament meeting and then was happy and friendly for the rest of the day at church. That afternoon was our nephew's baptism. The best part was when S-Boogie leaned over and asked me "what's the Holy Ghost going to give to him?", when I told her he was getting the gift of the Holy Ghost. After the baptism we drove over to have dinner at a friend's house. This family is kind of like Mr. Fob's second family from when he was growing up, so it was fun to see everyone and their kids. We had a lot of fun, even though Little Dude had an exploding diaper.

Monday: Back up to Mililani for Mr. Fob's sister's stake carnival. It was pretty impressive. A guy in the stake runs a party rental place, so there were inflatable jumpers and rides for the kids. There was also free hot dogs, shave ice, and cotton candy, plus each ward had a potluck lunch so we got to eat some yummy local goodies. S-Boogie had a blast on all the rides, but I felt pretty hot and sweaty after a few hours. After that we took a drive up to the North Shore and around the island, stopping for pie at Ted's and a quick potty break at the temple visitor's center in Laie. While we were out, Mr. Fob's sister, J, called and invited us to dinner at her house in Honolulu. We drove around and met up with her. It was a long day, but full of fun and good food.


Tuesday: This morning we went to the zoo, again with Mr. Fob's sister T and family. It was really hot again, but the zoo is in Waikiki so after we were done we walked over to the beach to swim. The kids had lots of fun digging in the sand and swimming, and Little Dude found a new game involving sticking his face in the water and then giggling hysterically after pulling it out. After swimming we walked around Waikiki a little. I bought a new swimsuit cover-up and we also stopped at splurged at Haagen Daz after being drawn in by an advertisement for a special Hawaiian treat involving pineapple/coconut and macadmia ice cream, hot fudge, and crumbled shortbread cookies. Then we came back out to Mr. Fob's mom's house and got the kids fed and in bed. It was another long busy day!

We're here on Oahu until Thursday afternoon, then we're flying over to the Big Island to spend a few days with another of Mr. Fob's sisters and her family. We come back Monday. I have no idea what our internet abilities will be--and we're obviously pretty busy--but I'll try and post some more and maybe get some pictures up. I need to show you our wicked sunburns.

Comments

Desmama said…
It sounds like so much fun--with plenty of good food as well. I hope the rest of your trip is good. I'll remember about Northwest.

P.S. That's really cute about S-Boogie and the "gift of the Holy Ghost."
I'm pretty positive you have to pay for snacks on any airline now. I know for sure you do on American Airlines. It's to help "offset the cost of rising gas" or something. What bull. But because you can bring food with you into the airport they don't feel too bad.
Kristeee said…
Hawaii is soooo hot in August - we were there for 10 days of the month last year and if we weren't in the water we were roasting. We kept on sweating all our sunscreen off, so we felt all gross and yucky. But we still had a blast - it's too pretty not to!

That stinks that airlines are getting all extra stingy. Delta still gives you snacks.

Keep having fun! I think I need to find myself some family over there...
Jenny said…
Sounds like fun! I have been to that beach before. Only I didn't appreciate it as much as I would now. I was all bent out of shape there were no waves. I hope you aren't too hot and sticky the rest of your trip
FoxyJ said…
Jenny--we're beach wimps. We like the shallow lagoon with no waves, clean sand, grass, shade, and bathrooms. When I was in high school I loved waves, but now that I have kids I just want clean water that won't knock them over.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals