Like a Frog in a Pot

Tuesday night I was baking some naan to go with our curried garbanzos. I noticed that the kitchen was feeling rather warm, but that wasn't surprising given the oven temperature at the time. Surprisingly, however, the next morning the house was still hot. It was hot on Wednesday too. Then Thursday morning we woke up sweating and I finally started wondering if the air conditioning was really working. We've never lived in a place with air conditioning before, so it took me a few days to get around to realizing that the puny stream of lukewarm air coming from our vents was not normal. We finally got in touch with our landlord, but no one came out to look at it until Friday night. Turns out that the compressor motor is shot. The good news is that we don't own the house and don't have to pay for it. The bad news is that they won't be installing the new motor until Monday.

So we took a little mini-vacation to Mr. Fob's sister's house in Saratoga Springs for the weekend. We had already planned to sleep over Friday night because she was watching the kids while we partied with friends in Salt Lake. We ate yummy Greek food and then watched the new Harry Potter movie (surprisingly good, I thought). Saturday morning we were pleasantly surprised by sleeping in late. Then we had a nice barbecue with some of my former roommates. It was great to see some of them after many years. Saturday night we headed back out to my sister-in-law's, but not before stopping off for a fund raising dinner by the Spanish-speaking ward in her stake. That was one of my favorite fund raising dinners ever; not your usual spaghetti at all. The food was abundant and the music was loud. We enjoyed empanadas, pupusas, and our absolute favorite from Peru: papa a la huancaina. Today we hung out all day in her cool house, and she even made us chocolate cake for dessert after dinner. Thankfully this weekend ended up being fun and relaxing after all and hopefully by tomorrow night things will be comfortable in our home again.

Comments

Good grief, if that is the kind of weekend you get when your AC breaks, why fix it? Talk about planned spontaneity . . . .
PS The frog in the pot analogy was how my dad taught us about chastity.
Jenny said…
YAY for SILs and getting air conditioners fixed this week. This was an awful week to have a broken AC. Freaking 105 degrees...
M said…
Aren't unexpected vacations great?
You're probably the 5th or 6th person I've heard of this summer (including us) who has had compressor failure with their A/C
Elizabeth-W said…
I just want to hear more about this naan-making business. I'm imagining you slapping dough on your oven walls. Am I wrong? If you have a good recipe/link, would you share it?
FoxyJ said…
Elizabeth--I used the recipe from the Joy of Cooking, but I wasn't totally satisfied with it. It wasn't quite the texture I had hoped for, but that may have something to do with using regular flour when the recipe called for bread flour. I'll have to try it again with the right kind. It was a simple dough to make, though. And you just use a baking stone to cook it on; again, not quite the right taste as a clay oven, but acceptable. I have a pizza stone and just put it in the oven to heat up. If I get a fabulous recipe I'll post it. I keep thinking about posting more recipes but sadly haven't gotten around to it yet.
Elizabeth-W said…
Please do. If I could learn to make naan my stock would rise dramatically around here. I'd never thought to use a stone. Great idea!
Melissa said…
congrats on winning TAMN's give-a-way!
Melyngoch said…
A pizza stone . . .

Too bad my birthday is months away.
daltongirl said…
Congrats on your TAMN win! If I can't be a winner, it's nice to see a friend be one. Enjoy!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear