Autumn in Utah

Right now I think fall is my favorite season. Of course if you ask me next year I'll probably tell you that spring is my new favorite, but I really like the fall. Where I spent most of my growing up years we didn't see a lot of change in the seasons and it wasn't until we moved to Maryland before my senior year of high school that I understood what kinds of colors the leaves could turn. I love the the colorful trees, the yummy fall foods, and that clear, cold sharpness that shows up in the air one day to signal that fall is here. After spending so many years in school fall also feels like a new beginning to me. I keep remembering my first fall in Utah, settling into my new apartment, learning to live on my own, buying books, making new friends, going to bed with aching legs from walking all over campus. Before coming to BYU I had not spent much time in Utah, especially not in Provo. Each fall that I live here I seem to remember the first time I saw all these places that are so familiar to me now. I spent my first few weeks here with my aunt, and so I feel even more nostalgic since she passed away a few years ago. Each year it seems that there is a moment when I look up to the mountains and realize that the trees are turning red, and each year I will take a moment to remember all the other fall days from the past.

Comments

Utah autumn and nostalgia. Check. Check. I wish I was in Logan right now, even if it meant going to chemistry at 7:30 in the morning. . .
Desmama said…
It's true--autumn feels like a new beginning to me too, probably conditioned from my school years. Now if I could somehow condition myself out of the allergies that inevitably accompany the onset of fall . . .
JennyMac said…
I love autumn! Favorite time of year. And that works out well since in Atlanta we have two seasons: Summer and Fall

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals