Idiolect

Random childhood memories:

We always thought the Eagles were singing "Take Me to the Lemon" (like
this one ) and that Crystal Gale was saying "Donuts make my brownies blue" (not this )

We called "goulash" (macaroni with hamburger and spaghetti sauce) "Jabba casserole" because my brother told my mom that it looked as gross as Jabba the Hut. That fluffy jello stuff with cottage cheese and Cool Whip was dubbed "penguin parfait" after I decided it looked like a penguin being eaten by a seal that I saw in a picture in National Geographic. Chicken, rice and broccoli casserole was called "tree and tooth".

Some of my favorite foods from when I was a kid:
egg salad sandwiches on pita bread with shredded cheese and alfalfa sprouts
cabbage rolls with brown rice and cheese
chicken marengo
chiles rellenos
chili manicotti
hamburger stew
blueberry strata pie
striped delight
applesauce oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

When we all got in the car, someone would inevitably call "front by the window" in order to reserve the prime spot. We also sometimes would shout "all aboard the Cuckoomont train" when it was time to get in the car.

And this one isn't from early childhood, but...

My mom likes to refer to lingerie as "recreational underwear"

Comments

Desmama said…
My sister and I were just talking the other day about the crazy things we remember from growing up--just random memories that suddenly pop up sometimes. Your post was funny. And your mom--does she call them that because she's too genteel to call them by their traditional name or is it just a funny nickname?
FoxyJ said…
I think it's just a funny nickname--she's definitely not genteel. I actually started this post because I realized the other day that my mom always called conditioner "cream rinse" whe I was a kid.
Anonymous said…
I laughed at your post - thanks for sharing.

It also reminded me of a song that was popular when I was a teenager: "Venus in Blue Jeans". My brother, who was only 6 or 7, didn't understand that they were saying "Venus", and seriously thought that it was another word that rhymes w/Venus. (hint: it's only in men's blue jeans)!
editorgirl said…
Childhood food stories, go.

My brother thought we were having "girled" cheese sandwiches, was offended, and from then on got "boyed" cheese sandwiches.

An object lesson gone very wrong wound up with the family calling cauliflower "Trees of Life." Someone attempted to call broccoli "Trees of Good and Evil," but it didn't stick.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals