Shameless promotions

Today we needed to stop by the mall here in Orem in order to pick up some ink cartridges we had filled at Island Ink Jet. We dropped them off last night, but the dude was taking much too long to refill them. So I decided to give in to my cravings for french fries and take S-Boogie to lunch at Chick-fil-A. Many years ago my sister introduced me to Chick-fil-A at the mall in Maryland. I immediately fell in love--they truly have the best chicken nuggets, french fries and lemonade ever made. I know they are a chain restaurant, but they have a very nice business philosophy and refuse to let any of their franchises open on Sundays. And they are giving out small board books with their kids meals. I can support a place like that.

Also, this morning for my Don Quijote class we went to Special Collections at the library and looked at the exhibit on
Don Quijote and the history of reading . It's pretty cool--and if you are on campus you ought to stop by. They have lots of cool old books on display. My favorite part is the one highlighting intertextuality and reading. There are some very old books with notes from readers still in the margins. The best one was owned by a guy who liked to draw a little hand pointing to his favorite parts of the text. There is a drawing of himself with both hands pointing to an especially nice passage. It's cute.

And if Don Quijote isn't enough to lure you to Special Collections, they also have some stuff out commemorating Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass.

Comments

Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
I'm loving all of the Quijote stuff this year. We (Indiana University) had our own Quijote conference last month and it was awesome. There was a reading in 13 different languages that was pretty much the coolest thing I've ever heard.
One of my very favorite classes at the BYU was the Quijote class. I took it in Madrid, so it wasn't from the illustrious Pratt, but it was still awesome.
Th. said…
.

Walt Whitman. Oh, that Walt Whitman! He's right up there with Thoreau, in my book. And in my book, that's a shoddy neighborhood indeed.

(Note to self: Keep metaphors to one per paragraph.)
Anonymous said…
Yes, there's a Quix/jote exhibit at the library at IU . . . whoa, wait a minute! Who are you this other person at Indiana University?

(If you spell it Quijote, then you can't have the word quixotic anymore, and it's one of my favorite words.)
What's wrong with quijotic?
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
I'm in the Spanish & Portuguese Department. Who are you other person at IU?
Melyngoch said…
I'm in English. Are you in the branch or in the ward?

(foxyj: apologies for using your blog as a message board, but that's what you get for being so popular.)

Master Fob: You're mom's quijotic.
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
Just as a general announcement, melyngoch and I have determined that we are in the branch and, are in fact, quite well acquainted. Small world, huh? Also, Foxy J, I'm about 99% sure I had a Spanish class with you as an undergrad.
FoxyJ said…
Hmm, Spanish classes? I thought your picture seemed vaguely familiar for some reason. I got back from my mission in early 2001 and came back to school for Spring term 2001. I didn't take many lit classes as an undergrad because I did translation. But I took 321 from Hague, 345 from Hegstrom, 339 from some random dude from Spain, 441 from Hegstrom, 425 from Smead, 322 from Mella, 451 from Quackenbush, and a film class from Weatherford (that's what I remember at least :))
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
It was that HORRENDOUS 322 class. I knew it!! It still gives me shivers just thinking about it.
FoxyJ said…
I have yet to meet a person who took 322 from Mella and enjoyed it. Maybe after you graduate you should come back and take her job.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals