Back in the day

I just remembered that today was the day I could register for classes for next semester. The fact that I forgot until just now reminded me that I have been here at school for way too long. Registration is so not exciting any more. I only need to register for one or two classes, and now I can just get on the computer and add them in less than one minute.

I remember my freshman year making a schedule with my roommates so that we could decide who got to use the phone for registering first. Right at midnight you could start registering, and it always took forever because the sections you wanted might be full and you had to flip through the catalog to find the right registration and section numbers. It was an all-night process fraught with stress over what classes you might be able to get into.

I think that my sophomore year was when they introduced Route Y, and it seems like shortly thereafter we could start registering online. It's a much more humane and simple process, although the all night party with the roommates was kind of fun.

The really sad thing is, the majority of people reading my blog have no idea what I'm talking about. The other day I told someone that I remember what the quad looked like before they started digging the giant hole for the library, and she gave me a very scandalized look. I really need to get out of here.

Comments

AmyJane said…
Yay! Someone as old as me! I walked my happy bum around that library mess for my entire career at school. 1997-2001? Is that about right?
Also, the phone registration. You've sent me spinning back in time. My favorite registration night was the night that my then love interest boy who was a sophomore, let me add all my classes on his schedule and "saved" them for me, until I could add them whil ehe simlutaneously dropped them. Anyway, my husband is allowed to register today and just cannot see why I keep hounding him to get right on that. Cause that's just still how it works in my mind. If you're allowed to get on, you get on!
Desmama said…
Been there, done that. Was also there from '97-'01, although I must confess I don't remember what the quad looked like because they were already digging by the time I arrived in fall of '97. But I remember the phone registration, which my mother told me was a far cry from her registration days, when they stood in a line only to get the front and learn the section they wanted was full. We've come a looong way. I'm amazed I graduated in a timely manner.
FoxyJ said…
I started in 1996, actually :) I went from 1996-1999, then went on a mission, then came back to school in 2001 and graduated in 2003 with my bachelors. Then I took a year off and started my master's in 2004! It's still sometimes disorienting to me that the library is the way it is, since it went through so many permutations since I've been here. I'm just feeling embarrassed by the fact that next year marks 10 years since I first set foot on campus. Sigh.
Th. said…
.

I transferred into that whole--or moments before it, I'm not sure. And now big holes have come and gone since I left.

I remember when they redid Talmage and pulled down the tree I used to sit under.

Sad day.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals