Grocery Guru

The other day I was at the library to pick up a certain book. As I am wont to do, I grabbed a few other nearby books that looked interesting. One was about how to shop smart in order to reduce your grocery bill, so I thought I'd see if it could help us out a little. We don't spend very much on groceries, but spending less isn't usually a bad idea. Then I flipped through the book before reading it, and I realized that I did most of the things this woman advocated. I can't save any more money because I'm already following her "proven program for grocery savings". I don't know where I picked up all my shopping smarts, but I know at least some of them are from my Mom, and others from just being poor for the last 10 years of my adult life. Anyways, here are the things that the author thinks you should do, and what I do (although maybe it's just common sense and she doesn't realize that everyone does them):
1. Shop with a list and a weekly menu. Plan your menu based on what's on sale that week, as well as what you already have on hand. Shop at more than one store to take advantage of sales.
I totally do this--except lately I don't get the ad for Macey's in my mail, so I often end up shopping at Smiths because it's closer to my house and I know what's going to be on sale there. Maceys has better prices, so if I'm getting more than just a few things, I do try and go there. I don't usually make more than one trip, because we don't buy that many groceries and I'm not a super fanatical shopper.
2. Keep a well-stocked pantry and stock up on sale items. Eat from your pantry so you don't have to spend a lot of money on each weekly trip.
This is one of my favorite ways to save money. I love to hoard food, and probably about 80% of our shopping trips are just for milk, bread and produce. Every few months I stock up on canned goods and other stuff like that. I buy meat in bulk at Costco and freeze it, so I only buy meat every few months (well, things like hamburger or chicken--I do occasionally buy a roast or steaks on sale). I also love stocking up on nonfood things like toilet paper or toothpaste. Then you hardly ever have to go to the store. The last time I bought a pack of dryer sheets at Costco it lasted a year and a half! Stocking up is a great strategy right now while we have a small family, since we don't go through things very fast. Plus, if we have big expenses for one paycheck, I can cut the amount I spend at the grocery store and we still have plenty to eat.
3. Be aware of cost per serving and maximize your shopping dollars.
I actually don't stock up on everything at Costco, because their prices aren't really the best for everything. You can usually get store brand canned goods for a better price, especially on sale. But, I've also realized that I don't like the store brand of everything, so sometimes paying a little more for quality is better. We also really stretch our servings of meat and don't even eat it except for a few times a week. Like I always cut chicken breasts in half and count each half as a serving rather than an entire piece. It's more than enough meat, especially if you make extra veggies to go with it. I've often stopped myself from buying other things on sale because I've realized that the price per serving still isn't a great deal. That's also why I like to make my own yogurt or bread, because it is so much cheaper.
4. Don't buy convenience foods and make as much as you can yourself.
This is one I don't always follow either, it depends on what is going on in life. But, I do have to say that I skip most aisles in the grocery store. I pretty much never buy juice or soda, chips, cookies, candy, snacks, Rice-a-Roni, cake mix, spaghetti sauce, etc. Basic, fresh, homemade food is what I like and what feels healthier. It's a lot cheaper that way too. Even if you want things like little bags of chips to take with your lunch, you can buy the big bag and divide it up yourself. I'd much rather make my own cookies and muffins than buy them (except for Oreos, mmm...)

OK, so now I sound like one of those ladies who drives a beat-up station wagon and only wears thrift store clothes (OK the last part of that is mostly true). But, there's nothing wrong with saving money. And every year I'm grateful that I had a Mom who taught me how to cook my own food, how to save money at the store, and that soda, chips, and sugar cereals are evil. Thanks Mom.

Comments

I was getting really wasteful with how I used my food budget, and I always felt guilty because I was raised to know better. When I decided I needed to rein in my grocery/food spending I did notice that my food bill went down, but my electric bill went up, because I was using my stove more. Another thing I have noticed, when I keep my pantry stocked, and shop with a list, I don't have to run to the store as often, and I save on gas. Sometimes it's not just about being frugal, it can be about learning behavior patterns to live a simplified life.
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
You're a budget rock star. Now that I have someone else in my life, I'm going to have to budget a little better.
You're amazing if you do all this already. I used to be more like this, but my husband doesn't really like stocking up on things for some reason. I'll say "aren't we close to being out of X? Should we get some?" and he'll respond "we'll just get it later." I guess I should not ask and just grab and go. I'll tell him it saves money in the long run and he'll probably come on board.
Jenny said…
I love your post! Since I can't clean for the life of me, the food dept. is something I can take pride in.

When we moved here I called the newspaper and got a killer deal for 13 weeks on the sunday paper and I've started using the coupons for the things that are marked down on the weekly sales and it makes a big difference also. And you can even call companies of products that you like and tell them how much you like their stuff and ask for coupons. I even have my relatives mail me their cupons if they get the paper.

I also started planning meals for the month and then making making enough marinara sauce for all the dishes that require it for the month and freezing it and those kinds of things. I definately think it saves time and $$. Another thing that works pretty well for our family is to turn theleftovers from dinner into another meal later that week.

Your post was great. I have big dreams of making a database that I can have my meals for the month on a calendar that tells me what items I have in the pantry and what items I need to go get fresh. But I'm also a bit of a fanatic.
I'm going to work on putting menus together again now that I have time. Thanks for the inspiration.
Desmama said…
Your post inspired me and made me feel guilty simultaneously. I wish I were so much better at the saving-money-on-groceries thing. I'm going to try harder. And it made me feel good to know you love Oreos too.
Earth Sign Mama said…
One way that I got started on the menu planning thing was to make lists of all the things I knew how to cook in catagories like: hamburger dishes, chicken dishes, vegetarian, etc. I was astounded at the variety. So, then I listed side dishes. Then, I drew a calendar (at this time, computers were not found in homes) and wrote in the menus. We got paid every two weeks, and I listed what groceries I'd need for those two weeks worth of meals plus breakfast/lunch essentials and I bought just those foods. Luckily, every two weeks, the next paycheck came and we could eat again! This only works when you control all the food that is eaten in the house because the children are tiny. A new plan must be developed when teenagers arrive. But it worked great for years and we ate delicious food and kept within our budget. Plus, I didn't have to do any crisis shopping, because everything for every meal was in the house already. With four children under 6, and two extra daycare kids a trip to the store was...well...you can just imagine.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals