One Month

Well, Little Dude is officially one month old today and we've all survived, more or less. He still is having a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, but apparently all the time he spends eating is having an effect since yesterday at a weight check he had gained nearly 2 pounds since leaving the hospital. I have seen infants that sleep peacefully for several hours at a time, but he is not one of them. Some days I wonder if I produce caffeinated breast milk, since S-Boogie was particularly alert too. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to like being awake and will cry and complain about it until you hold him or feed him. The nice thing is, we have done this before and we have faith that this stage will pass. After a month, the lack of sleep is starting to wear a little, but I keep repeating to myself "this won't last forever". Tonight I gave him a bath and we snuggled on the couch. I will someday miss the feeling of having a warm, clean baby sleeping on my chest. I think S-Boogie has also decided that it's not all that much fun either. Most of the time she's doing all right, and still loves her little brother rather fiercely. But she's really learning how to wait for Mommy to finish feeding him, or changing him, or rocking him. I think she wants her life back. The hardest thing for her has been the fact that Master Fob has started a second job and is now gone most of the time. She got to spend lots of time with him over the last few years while I was going to school, so now she not only has to try and adjust to having a new baby, but also having Mommy home all the time and Daddy never home. I'm starting to feel a lot better though, so we'll be getting out and doing more things soon I hope. She keeps asking to go for a walk or to go to the park, and I'm really not quite up to it. I'm sure six weeks seems like an eternity to her. Anyways, the child needs food and I need to get to bed. Didn't mean for this post to be such a downer, but the reality is that life with a newborn is a lot of hard work. Some day the investment will pay off and he'll smile or something, but right now I'll just keep repeating "this too shall pass".

Comments

Katria said…
Be most especially greatful S-Boogie likes Little Dude. I've seen it from the other side, and it wasn't even cool for about 18 years.
Desmama said…
I'm realizing the whole "this too shall pass" stuff with the second child. I'm learning to savor the good stuff and endure--sometimes with a smile--the not-so-good stuff (exhaustion, engorgement--any other e-words?). I guess it's nice to have done this before and have a little perspective.
Tolkien Boy said…
If you should ever need an evening person to take S-Boogie out, let me know.
Jenny said…
I keep having to remind myself that Ethan cried for three months and had to be held. He is so good now and I just want to ooh and ahhh and tell everyone what a great baby he is, and the I get the 'have you forgotten the nightmare that was your child three months ago? We sure haven't!' looks from people.

You have such a healthy attitude about it. Looking back, its obvious I definately lacked that and I think it made it harder.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals