Reading Roundup: September

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn
I thought it was interesting that on my edition of this book they had changed the subtitle from "a progressively lipogrammatic epistolary fable" to "a novel in letters". Since this is a book about the dumbing down of language, I find that interesting and ironic. I didn't really know what this book was about before I read it; all I knew was that it had a cool title and I know several people who loved it. I think I didn't like it was much because I didn't expect political satire--no one told me about that. Once I got over that shock, I found myself liking the book. It was clever and fun.

In Pharaoh's Army by Tobias Wolff
This was another book I was pleasantly surprised by. I bought it because I have a weird obsession with the Vietnam war, but this was unlike any other war memoir I have read before. There wasn't any slogging through the jungle, buddies getting pulverized, swearing, or anything much like that. It was a very well-written series of vignettes about Wolff's life before, during, and after the war. I enjoyed it quite a lot and look forward to reading more by him in the future.

The Magic of Ordinary Days by Ann Howard Creel
This was our book club selection for this month, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. I had never heard of it before, but it was a nice, pleasant little read. There were a few elements of the plot that I didn't really feel worked, but overall it is a nice little book.

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
Reading this book reminded me of watching something like Legends of the Fall or Far and Away. It's a big, long, sprawling epic set in England and America around the turn of the century. Some parts are really hokey, the dialogue is kind of dumb in spots, but it is still a lot of fun to read. I enjoyed the main characters and I liked the fact that she switched the focus between the girl and the guy, because that made for a more interesting read and added a little something not found in most historical romances. It did have more sex and swearing than I was expecting, just so you know. I picked it up because I had read Donnelly's YA book A Northern Light and loved it, and I still think that book is better. It's a lot shorter too.

Just Like That by Marsha Qualey
The plot of this book was straight out of most other YA books I've read: a sudden event changes the protagonist's life, shakes things up with her family and friends, and precipitates major growth. I still found it to be an interesting read and I liked the writing a lot. The characters were well-written and I liked all of them, even the parents. I picked it up because I liked the cover art, but it turns out the story is just as nice.

Dairy Queen by Catherine Murdock

I'm not a fifteen year old girl on a dairy farm in Wisconsin that flunks English and loves football. Definitely not. But I still enjoyed this book a lot and thought it was well-written and a lot of fun.

Movies


Minority Report

I finally got around to watching this after reading references to it for years. The wait was worth it; I really enjoyed this movie and thought it was well-made and interesting. The ethical questions it raises are important, but I especially liked the cool neo-noir style.

Little Miss Sunshine

This was another one I finally got around to watching; this time it was simply due to the fact that a thousand other people wanted to check it out from the library too. It was totally hilarious and one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time. I felt like it really maintained a balance between being unconventional and completely alienating the audience. Foul-mouthed grandpa was a little much for me at times, but that was pretty much my only problem with the movie.

Comments

Lindsay said…
I really liked Ella Minnow Pea. I was surprised at how easy it was to read, even at the end when most of the letters were banned.
Desmama said…
You must have a stronger stomach than I did to manage Minority Report. It freaked me right out. I loved "A Northern Light" and have been wanting to read something else by Jennifer Donnelly, so I'll have to check out your recommendation.
Earth Sign Mama said…
Okay, am I just the laziest person on earth or what? Here you are, reviewing the September books (and look at that list in August!! when "all" you did was travel 800 miles to graduate from college, oh, and GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE) and you read a lot of books every month and then review them. When do you read? OH, WAIT--I believe I remember this girl---she reads whenever her eyes are open. That's right...nevermind...
Desmama said…
I know. I wonder when you read as well. I mean, we've both got two kids but you pack way more reading into a month than I ever could. I'm just a bit jealous . . . in a good way. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals