Heavy Hearted

I know I just posted about the great blessings in my life. And I have a lot right now. But for the last few weeks I've been feeling pretty down. I'm sure part of it is the cold, rain, and darkness around here. Plus it seems like every time I look at my computer the headlines are just horrible. The night before Christmas a girl in a town near here decided to kill her whole family, including her young niece and nephew. She shot her mom while she was wrapping presents for the grandkids. I keep seeing updates on the pregnant girl that got killed and burned and on the guy who decided to kill his children. Then there's the girl in Utah who was shot by her ex-husband. On her birthday. In front of her mom. Drunk drivers, child abuse, war--it's just getting to be too much. Especially since many of these stories involve people my age or who have children the same ages as mine.

I've always enjoyed reading the news, but it's really getting me down lately. It's not only that. We've had several family members and friends going through some serious trials too. I think that just adds on to everything else. It's kind of strange because last year was a very bad time for me, and I felt like it wasn't for many other people I knew. Now I feel like the only one with blessings.

My mom just called last night to let me know that my uncle died in an avalanche yesterday. Not only that, but there were two other guys with him. All of them have families and they are all from the same small town and ward. My heart aches. Within less than three years my mom has lost a sister, her mother, and now a brother-in-law. This post doesn't have much point, really. I still have a testimony and I still know that "joy comes in the morning". But sometimes the night seems really long.

Comments

Deborah said…
Oh my. My heart goes out to you and your family . . .
robin marie said…
i think it is so appropriate that you ended the post with "joy comes in the morning." that is such a beautiful phrase... but i agree that the nights can be long, and hard and seemingly endless.
You nearly made me cry, FoxyJ. I've never met you, but I feel like this medium sometimes allows people to say things spontaneously they would never say in "normal" conversation, so I feel like I know you almost better than if you were a ward member living down the street from me.

I guess what I am saying is that in Oregon, somebody you don't know is helping keep vigil through your long night. My prayers are with you that you might find joy in your husband, work, books and children. Together we will wait for the day when we can see that yes, indeed, our sufferings and afflictions are but a small moment.
Th. said…
.

Sometimes the night is really long . . . .
Desmama said…
I'm so sad your heart is grieving. Please know you are in my thoughts.
Nemesis said…
I'm so sorry, Foxyj.
Kristeee said…
Waiting for the dawning of that joy can seem so long sometimes. I'm just glad to know that Someone up there is in control of things and has a plan for me personally to be happy - it's comforting to believe there's a purpose and plan to things. I'm so sorry for your loss and that you're hurting. *hug*
Mama Wisch said…
I love the last line in this post. It's so true. I have had a lot of heart ache recently and that really helps me to know that I'll be okay, but it won't necessarily be quick healing.
kto1s said…
Truly our hearts are broken...You put it so beautifully. Love to you and your family.
ambrosia ananas said…
I'm sorry about your uncle.
Kailey said…
Sometimes, just throwing our thoughts out into the void can help. But no void here, you know that you have many that care about you and your concerns. I wish I were as brave as you. I am really sorry for all these brutal reminders you have had to face of how sad life can be. I myself have had to stop watching the news for the EXACT same reasons. We have enough of these reminders in our own lives not to need them smeared in our faces, with every gory detail, whenever we turn on the t.v. But as you did say, there is joy in the morning... must be why these stings of life hurt so bad, because they shadow our joy until we see through the clouds again.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear