Looking forward to 2008

I was trying to remember if I even set any goals for last year. Then I found this post and this one and remembered that I had. I actually did finish one of my major resolutions: finish my thesis and graduate. At this time last year I was really doubting that it would happen. I'm still pretty impressed with myself that I could pull it off (and I'm eternally grateful to all my friends, family, and colleagues that pitched in to help me out). I still feel a desire to be more spiritually "in shape" but don't feel that I've made much progress towards establishing a regular time for study and reflection. And trying to get in better physical shape is still an ongoing project. As for my other, short-term goals, I have made some progress there. I've read a lot of books and watched a lot of movies (yearly report coming up soon). I've also done some work on cross stitch while watching TV and movies, but I'm still avoiding the unfinished scrapbook. I've also done nothing about publication, learning another language, or reading much critical theory. Basically I've shed all vestiges of academia since graduating. Heh. Mr. Fob and I both agree that 2006 and 2007 were crappy years, last year especially. This year will see some big changes; Mr. Fob will graduate, hopefully he'll get a "real" job, hopefully we'll buy a house (maybe?), and I'll probably be back in school. I hope these are all positive things. And so my goals:

1. Physical Fitness: Yes, I know this is an ongoing project. But I really want it to work out. I see people around here who are so tanned and fit and can jog effortlessly instead of puffing around in too-tight jeans like I do. So I would really like to lose some weight--maybe 20 pounds or so this year. Even more than that, I want to feel comfortable and healthy. My Christmas gift was a gym membership, so hopefully that will help me on my way.

2. Spirituality: Another ongoing project. But I haven't been feeling close to God in the way I used to for some time now and I want to fix that. I'm trying to find some time in my schedule for study, prayer, and pondering. I want to make that a regular part of my life from now on.

Well, that's about all that I can think of. There are plenty of other things, like being kinder to my children and husband, fulfilling my callings better, learning more languages, etc. But I think I want to put my focus on these two areas of my life and see what happens. Check back in a year and find out.

Comments

Jenny said…
I really like how your resolutions are actually resolutions for personal growth and not just a fun to do list for the new year. So inspiring.
Mary said…
I like it too. If you are healthy in body and spirit, a lot of the other things will fall into place. I really enjoy your blog.
Good post. I need to take some stock of my own life too.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals