Resolutions

I actually did set some goals for this year, even if I didn't get around to posting them before today. Master Fob and I have been pretty good about setting goals for the last few years, and even moderately successful at achieving them. I like to set some global, general goals for the year, and then we make up charts with specific, quantifiable goals for the next few months. So, my big goals for this year are:

1. Finish my thesis and graduate
This is a big goal, and I really hope it happens during the first part of the year. Right now I'm trying my darndest to devote free moments to study and writing. Unfortunately, I don't get very many free moments. And I keep doing things like hosting parties (last night) that use up my time on things like cooking and washing dishes. We did have a fun party, but I think our next will not be happening until after the thesis is done.

2. Lose some weight and get in better shape.
The good news is, I'm only about 15 pounds off from a healthy weight for me. The bad news is, I've been that much overweight for about ten years now. My body doesn't shed weight easily. After both pregnancies I've returned back to this point easily, but no further. When I was in high school I was just as tall and weighed twenty pounds less than I do now, so I know it can be done. The hardest thing for me with this goal is the required changes in eating habits. I know I have a good start, like I don't drink soda, I don't like most fast food, and I really like fruits and veggies. But I have a great love for cheese and other high-fat dairy products and I love to bake. One goal for the next few months Master Fob and I are trying is three "no treat days" a week where we don't eat any sweets or other fatty/sugary things. I don't know how well it will work, but I hope it will at least help me break the habit. And I'm still going walking three days a week. Again, these are just small steps and I know I need bigger ones, but maybe when I get my thesis out of the way and the weather starts getting warm I can work harder.

3. Get more "in shape" spiritually
I have really been neglecting my scripture study, prayer, and general spirituality habits for a while now. I've set a renewed goal to study my scriptures every day. I can always find time for blogging, but never time for scripture study. Hmmm....And we have a goal to read the New Testament as a family. We were going to do it as couple time, but decided to include S-Boogie as well. The other day we were reading about the wise men "falling down and worshipping" and she became concerned about them getting hurt. A good introduction to scripture language.

So, I only set three rather modest goals for myself. But I'd rather have realistic expectations with a clear plan than nebulous things that will just make me feel worse for not achieving them. We'll see how I did when December rolls around.

Comments

Jenny said…
I am on the same page as you with the dairy and the baking. I have the same goal to consume less of those things. Good luck with the thesis.
JB said…
I'm hoping to lose 15 pounds this year too! :) I'm doing weight watchers, but only because a family member gets me their points books and stuff for free. It's been interesing just to calculate what I eat and how much I eat. I'm learning to cut down on portion size a little and that way I can still eat the fatty not-super-healthy foods that I love! Oh wait, I think that contradicts my "get healthier" goal. Oh well.
Rose Ghost said…
I don't do official resolutions, but I want to do some writing every day, and I want to get a new, better job.
I'm doing ok with the fist one. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear