"I'm doing a good job"

Little Dude lately is in the throes of that preschool stage where they want to do everything themselves. Generally this works out well, because at three-and-a-half he is pretty capable. He loves to help me unload the dishwasher, do the laundry, set the table, and many other tasks around the house. Being the worrywart and perfectionist that I am, I know I respond too anxiously sometimes and want to jump in too frequently to 'fix' things. The other night we were having pancakes, and he naturally wanted to put butter and syrup on his own. Usually I help him cut, so after watching him hacking away at his pancake I asked "can I help you with that?"

He looked up at me and replied very sincerely: "I'm doing a good job, Mom!"

My heart melted; yes, he was doing fine and I should be careful not to be so hasty to jump in and imply that his efforts aren't good enough.

Comments

Desmama said…
Yup, I know what you mean. I realize I shouldn't fuss that my kids can't do things for themselves when I leap in when they're not doing it perfectly right.
Bonnie White said…
I read your post of Segullah and just wanted to say how I appreciated your honesty, willingness to be led by the Spirit and trust in the Lord.
Th. said…
.

This is an important observation. It's so much easier for me to do stuff quickly and right. But where would we be if God was as impatient with us as I am with my kids?

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals