Feeling Grinchy

I know this sounds like blasphemy to many of you, but I really don't like Halloween. I don't like dressing up, I don't like creepy or gross decorations, and I don't like the fact that it's basically an excuse to buy lots of junk and feed kids candy (well, most holidays have now been co-opted by corporate America, so I guess it's not all that different from any other holiday). At least since having kids I have come to enjoy dressing them up in costumes because they look so cute, but it still isn't high on my list of favorite things. I love pumpkins and fall and all that fun stuff, but Halloween is not for me.

I'm also really not a fan of the 'trunk or treat' thing. I don't get how wandering around in a dark, cold parking lot is going to be any fun at all. Why can't we just go inside? In my old ward we had a Halloween activity inside the church where people decorated classrooms and then the kids could go around trick or treating to the rooms. I understand why it wouldn't work so well here; in our old ward most people didn't have kids so they were free to give out candy. Then again, why do we have to give out candy at all? Why can't we just get together in the gym and eat rice krispie treats and let the kids run around and show off their costumes? The kids would be happy, parents would be happy, and then we could all go home without another ton of candy. Problem solved.

The main reason why I'm concerned about this is the fact that I will be teaching my class on Halloween night so I won't be here for trick or treating. Last year we skipped the 'trunk or treat', but I'm crazy enough to want to dress my kids up and have some fun with them. I like to see them having fun, so we'll probably be hitting the 'trunk or treat' on Saturday night. I may be a grumpy old cynic, but I'll give my kids a few years to decide for themselves.

Comments

The only thing I dislike about Halloween and trick or treating is when I get teenagers (who haven't even dressed up) going door to door with pillowcases. What a bunch of beggars. I think my husband was one of those teenagers...

We weren't allowed to go trick or treating after 6th grade. We could have parties and dress up, but no begging door to door.

I really like the idea of the church classroom set up. Then the kids can knock on a closed door, say "trick or treat", and have somewhat of a traditional (and safe) Halloween.
I actually feel this way about a lot of holidays. As far as the commercial stuff goes. We got into Santa Clause more last year because my oldest was old enough to ask about him and whatnot. But we have NEVER had the Easter Bunny show up. I don't know if we'll ever do Easter bunny. Last year we went to the single student housing towers on our campus which was only advertised to campus families; it was great. They knocked on doors on about two floors, the college kids ooed and ahhed at our adorable kids. If the doors didn't carry a special sign we skipped it. Totally safe, not too crowded and we only did two floors.

This year we will probably go door to door. Not crazy about that.
Samantha said…
You know you're a Halloween Grinch when:
1. You hand costumes down from child to child.
2. You shop the costume clearance, allow your child to choose a 75-cent costume for the next year, and force him/her to wear it whether it fits of not.
3. You keep the candy that doesn't get eaten during the first week and distribute it the next year to trick-or-treaters.
4. You buy really good chocolate Halloween candy, send your husband off to trick-or-treat with the kids, then turn off the porch light, lock the door, and eat all the chocolate yourself.
5. You drive your kids to the church for trunk or treat, then climb into the front seat, recline it, and take a nap.
6. You don't shower, dress, wear make-up or do your hair on Halloween and you tell your kids that's your costume.
7. You give pencils left over from buying too many school supplies as treats.
8. You force your kids to eat dinner before they're allowed any of their treats.
9. You insist your kids brush their teeth in-between each piece of candy.
10. You confiscate all gum that isn't sugarless.

Yeah--I've done all except number six, and I'm toying with the idea of doing it this year.
Jenny said…
My husband hates halloween probably more than you do. I think trunk or treat is dumb, I liked it when we had a carnival/ party like you were saying. I love Halloween because we have a doughnut party. And that, to me, is the true meaning of Halloween.
Desmama said…
Jenny, Nem and I were just talking tonight about you making some donuts. For us. Just mull it over.
Earth Sign Mama said…
Okay, you'll have to go to Earthsignmama's blog to read about it, but foxyj comes by her anti-Halloween feelings honestly. She at least lets her children know about trick-or-treat. I love the decorations, but not the sugar.
Johnna said…
/* standing ovation to you, foxyj.

The only thing I like about Halloween is designing and sewing the kids' costumes. You can sew really sloppy on something that's worn one night, and often the material is bright or interesting or different.

Trunk or treat should die. Donuts in the gym would help a lot. But really, this year we have trunk-or-treat on Saturday and Halloween midweek to follow. It's really more Halloween than I need.
Kristeee said…
Ditto on the teenagers with pillowcases who don't even bother to dress up. And then stare at you after you give them one piece of candy, like you've deprived them. Ugh.

Not yet having kids to trepse around at night in the cold to beg candy (doesn't sound like much fun), I really get into being on the giving end of things Halloween night. In German tradition, I make all the kids "earn" their candy by making them either sing a song or recite a poem. This is great fun, and their parents get a kick out of it because it's not a free handout. One of the dads in our ward actually has been practicing to recite me a German poem this year. Hehe - I have a reputation.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals