Sublimation

Today I finally realized something that I wish I had learned about ten years ago, at least. It all started a month or so ago when I saw this sweater in the window over at Eddie Bauer. It's perfect: stylish and practical at the same time. I love cardigans and I don't have a dark brown one. Unfortunately the regular price of the sweater is 68 dollars, and I think it's insane to spend that much money on one item of clothing, no matter how nice it is. But I didn't stop thinking about the sweater. Then I got a Chadwick's catalog that came with a nice coupon for 20 percent off your order. I looked around and saw a shirt that I liked and that came in the perfect shade of blue to match some pants I have. But the shirt wasn't on sale and I didn't like the idea of spending 20 dollars for only one shirt. Instead I looked around on clearance and found a few things I liked and ordered them instead. A six dollar shirt is a better deal, even if it's not exactly the one I liked. Today I also ended up at Goodwill looking for some possible items for Halloween costumes. I also bought a few things for myself, including a super cute, dark gray Banana Republic sweater for only four dollars. Score. However, I realized on the way home that during the last week I've managed to spend seventy dollars on clothes. I got some cute things, but I still want the brown sweater and the blue shirt. It doesn't matter what else I got if I still didn't get what I had originally been looking for. And if I had just saved up my money I could have gotten the specific things that will match my wardrobe and satisfy my desires. I think I do this way too often: I decide that for some reason the specific thing I want is "off limits" and so try a substitute, but then I end up unhappy because it's not what I want. I need to remember this in the future. Once I have room in my budget for clothes again.

Comments

I am just like this. It's a good thing that my husband understands it and makes me stop when it comes to big ticket items like furniture.

When I was furniture browsing a couple weeks ago, there was a floor model on sale for $600 for the whole 5 piece set. It was comfortable enough. It looked fine. The color was fine. But the style wasn't quite what I was going for. The price was outstanding enough to make me consider it. But he told me I'd regret it and that he'd rather find what I wanted even if it was a little more expensive. And I would have eventually regretted it for sure.

So, I understand.
Samantha said…
I used to do that, too. So I had a closet full of clothes I didn't want to wear--and I didn't. I lived in jeans and a t-shirt rather than wear the new clothes I didn't like. Now my wardrobe is much smaller--but I wear everything in it. I've also found that if I like me shoes, nothing else matters. I know--weird, but that's the way it is.

I hope you get your sweater.
Sir Jupiter said…
"It's perfect: stylish and practical at the same time."

FoxyJ personified...
Unknown said…
Thank you for finally making me realize why I have a closet full of clothes, "but I have nothing to wear!" I think this weekend, I'm cleaning out the closet!

I think a lot of people out there do this; and the clothes, furniture, and trinket people know.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals