Taking the Plunge

I've started applying to PhD programs. I already paid money to one school and I've asked professors for recommendations, so there's no going back now. I've been somewhat ambivalent about things lately because I really like my life right now. I like teaching just two evenings a week and spending the rest of my time lazing around reading whatever I want. I like not having to do homework and I certainly don't miss the insane politics of grad school and the constant feeling that I'm not worthy to be there. But there's a little voice in the back of my head telling me that this is the right decision and that I won't regret it. And when I looked at UC Davis' website and saw that they have an emphasis in critical studies--including translation theory--I started feeling a little giddy. Course descriptions always make me feel so optimistic; oh yes, I would love to spend an entire semester discussing the theory of myth or "domesticating" vs "foreignizing" translations. This is when I know I'm crazy and I know my mind wants me to keep going. I'm applying to Berkeley, Oregon, and Davis. Hopefully someone will want me. And if they don't, at least I can breathe a little easier and go back to adjunct teaching. It's nice to be in a position where either choice sounds pretty good.

Comments

M said…
I'm SO excited for you. My PhD experience so far has been good...baby and all. Good enough that the "I'm not good enough" voice that apparently visits you too has started to shut up and take long vacations, even.

Good luck!
skyeJ said…
mmm... sounds exciting. I love having enough education to have choices in my life. It is so freeing. Yay education!! Stay in school, kids.
Desmama said…
That's one thing my parents emphasized big-time. They wanted us to educate ourselves because of the opportunities a good education would afford us--the world just opens up. I think it's great you're applying to those programs! I, personally, am kind of vicariously giddy for you to see where you get in and what experiences await you. Best of luck!
Petra said…
Being in a situation where the "I'm not good enough" voice is, for the first time in my entire life, drowning out ALL other voices in my head, I'm very glad to read that other people hear it too sometimes. I mean, not that I'd wish it on anybody, but I'm taking comfort from the fact that I'm not alone.

Also, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you choose Berkeley. Then I really won't be alone!
Lindsay said…
Good for you! And good luck! (Though I wouldn't be surprised if all three schools want you.)
Jenny said…
I hope the rest of the application process goes smoothly. I think it's great that you're going to get your PhD!
I'm the same way. When I found the major I knew in the pre-existence I felt chills all over as I read course descriptions. Evolution 550 . . . Botany 400 . . . Geology 200 . . . Genetics 319 . . . Bioethics 350 . . .I still get chills thinking of how much I loved each of those course. I can hardly wait for my grad school turn.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations. You will make a wonderful professor. I know I've said it a lot, but the work/life balance of a professor just can't be beat! I know you'll do well in the programs as well. Good luck!
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
I'm so glad to hear that. You will be a fantastic PhD student and then professor!
Th. said…
.

Hooray for Berkeley!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals